Thursday, February 28, 2013
Friday, February 22, 2013
Happy 281st Birthday to the Father of Our Country, His Excellency George Washington
This life-size statue of George Washington in the rotunda of the Virginia State Capitol in Richmond, Virginia, is probably the finest and most accurate likeness of Washington ever made. It was sculpted by Jean-Antoine Houdon from measurements and life masks he took of Washington when the sculptor visited Mount Vernon.
Thursday, February 21, 2013
We ALL Are in Need of God's Grace and Mercy
Don't know if anyone is still out there reading this, since I've neglected this blog for so long. And I can't promise not to further neglect it in the future (not really much into blogging these days).
But I wanted to post today just to say "Thank you" to Mark Shea (and Terry Nelson) for this post. Reminds me that I've been too harsh in my criticism of Mark for whatever disagreements (usually as to tone, not substance) that I may have with him.
Lord knows I'm in no position to condemn anyone. Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
- Name: Pro Ecclesia
- Location: Ohio, United States
A convert to the Catholic Church who became Catholic because of a belief in and devotion to the Real Presence of Jesus Christ in the Eucharist. * A graduate of Baylor University and the University of Virginia School of Law. * Former Mayor of the Town of Columbia, Virginia. * Married with four children: two boys and two girls. * Primary interests include the Catholic Church, family, Early American History, and law/politics * Primary purpose of this blog is fostering enlightened discussion about the roles played by the institutions of religion, family, and state in our daily lives. * Under the protection of St. Thomas More, martyr, and patron of lawyers, judges, civil servants, politicians, statesmen, and large families (not to mention troubled marriages).
St. Mary, Mother of the Redeemer Church in Norwalk, Ohio
What They're Saying About
Pro Ecclesia * Pro Familia * Pro Civitate
- "As a debate involving the Catholic Church (either a discussion about the Church specifically, or a discussion in which the Church is taking a position) grows longer, the probability of someone mentioning the sex scandal approaches one."
~ Anderson's Law
- "2006 [Man] of the Year"
~ TIME Magazine
- An "honest fellow" "Kudos to Jay Anderson!" "Bravo to Jay Anderson! ... Thank you for taking a principled stand, Jay!"
~ Mark Shea
- "Jay was right"
~ Amy Welborn
- "Great links at Pro Ecclesia; just keep scrolling!"
~ The Anchoress
- "[A] great blog to read."
- "Well done!"
~ Dale Price
- "We should all be Pro Ecclesia ... Jay provides the best round-up of news interesting to Catholics and Christians I have found ... full stories, great links, and pithy, on-the-nose comments"
~ Bill Hennessy
- "Take your browsers on over to the informative and uplifting blogspace of Jay Anderson, Esq."
- "An easy-to-digest roundup of the relevant commentary, combined with Jay's own insightful remarks" ... "Jay always links to interesting stuff, but his best pieces are when he takes the time to add his own commentary. I particularly enjoy his Scottish history posts, but his perspectives on issues of law, politics, culture and faith are really why I read enjoy his blog so much. Just be careful you don't go blind when you're hoping of a picture of Andriana Lima in a bathing suit, and get one of Teddy Kennedy in a bathing suit instead.
~ Paul at Thoughts of a Regular Guy
- "Jay Anderson is definitely my hero now."
~ Micharl R. Denton at For the Greater Glory
- "Jay Anderson takes his faith seriously... His disdain for “Malthusian nonsense” on issues of population and child bearing reflect an uncompromisingly pro-life position... Agree or disagree, Jay Anderson’s blog is informed and relevant, and demands consideration as we look into how religion figures into the way individuals participate in the national discourse."
~ Stained Glass Politics
- "My friend Jay Anderson at Pro Ecclesia always produces posts well worth reading. Today he outdoes himself ..."
~ Donald R. McClarey at The Amerian Catholic
- "Jay possesses a wide range of knowledge and always has something new and interesting to say in the areas of politics, church, and family. His comments are right on. He is a staunch defender of the culture of life."
~ Jean at Catholic Fire
- "In the tradition of Newman and Chesterton"
~ College Catholic
- "My friend Jay Anderson at Pro Ecclesia has been deceived by the Anti-Christ"
~ Rick Lugari
- "[A] blog I admire because of the level and tone of the reporting--there's always a lot of good stuff to read about on this blog, and the editorial remarks are always logical ... You can tell an intelligent blogger, though, when even venomous comments are worth reading for the little tidbits of information that they provide about the subject at hand..." An example of intense Catholic engagement with the world ... I find his posts so compelling ... this is my opportunity to single out a blog I don't mention much, but read very faithfully.
~ Literacy Chic at Words, words
- "A genius ... at communicating so much with such efficiency"
~ Julie D. of Happy Catholic
- "The Flower of Southern Manhood incarnate forced against his will to move to a foreign country ... Ohio."
~ Lair of the Catholic Cavemen
- "The insightful and fearless Jay Anderson" ... "If you haven't already done so, check out Jay Anderson's Pro Ecclesia. You can thank me later!"
~ Holy Fool
- "A wonderful Catholic site ... Jay Anderson's Pro Ecclesia site has always impressed me with it's very high caliber content and writing and I recommend it highly as a beautiful and well organized Catholic site that I'm sure you will enjoy reading and coming back to often."
~ Frank Trainor
- "Excellent blog"
~ Zach Brissett of In Toon with the World
- "Pro Ecclesia * Pro Familia * Pro Civitate is a great site to visit nearly every day, ... definitely worth looking at." "One of my other 'have to read' blogs."
~RobK at Kyrie Eleison and Catholic Dads
- "An informed opinion" ... "Thinking Blog ... Political allegience asides, Jay's posts rarely disappoint"
~ Evangelical Catholicism
- "One of my favorite bloggers ... You can only hide genius for so long ..."
~ causa nostrae laetitiae
- "Rather interesting blog"
~ Joee Blogs of A Catholic Londoner
- "Blog of Note ... Pro Ecclesia, Pro Familia, Pro Civitate ... If you haven't visited this blog before, you might want to take the time to do so."
~ Memories of a Catholic Wife and Mother
- "Justifying my links ... First up is Pro Ecclesia by Jay Anderson. He deals mostly with the intersection of family, politics, and Catholicism... Mr. Anderson is a prolific blogger with multiple posts a day. One can keep abreast of Church issues by visiting his blog alone. His articles are well-written and the site-design is attractive... A very worthy addition to Asymmetric."
~ Nelson Guirado of Asymmetric
- "A very interesting conservative Catholic blog and well worth a read."
~ The Dunadan at Cally's Kitchen
- "Yes, it's the inimitable Jay Anderson from Pro Ecclesia. You have to be really secure in your manhood to wear a
~ Tony Miller of Manly Men
- "A good blog."
~ The Roving Medievalist
- "Jay is a stalwart Conservative, a big C conservative, after my own heart. I read his web log everyday ..."
~ Brian Duffy at One Oar in the Water
- "A fine pro-life web site"
~ Vital Signs Blog
- "I actually like Jay's blog for more than his obvious good taste in humor. He's a conservative in politics but doesn't place that above his faith. He's a family man who often has very good observations on what makes a family tick (or not). And he works hard to be a faithful Catholic. All these things make it easier to swallow his status as a lawyer. If you notice the title of his blog (Pro Ecclesia, Pro Familia, Pro Civitate), he also puts things in the proper order: God, family, country."
~ Christine at Domestic Vocation
- "... Jay Anderson's excellent Pro Ecclesia" "... nothing short of brilliant" "... Jay Anderson ... is one of the best Catholic bloggers out there"
~ Creative Minority Report
- "I can't help but think Kmiec is talking about you [in complaining about his "torment" by "right-wing" Catholic bloggers]. I honestly can't think of anyone who took him on more piercingly than you. Great job. Hopefully your criticisms wake him up." "I'm with Jay. After a great argument like that how could you be against him?"
~Matthew Archbold of Creative Minority Report
- "My Favorite Catholic Bloggers ... Pro Ecclesia * Pro Familia * Pro Civitate — The always faithful Jay Anderson writes one of the best Catholic Political blogs around. I really love it when he gets angry."
Pat Archbold of Creative Minority Report, writing at National Catholic Register
- "Here are some more 'blogs that I've had to put off-limits:
Pro Ecclesia: PH, R, C, T, O
[PH - Phariseeism; R - Republicanism; C - Clericalism; T - Traditionalism; O - Offensive (anti-womyn, anti-GLBTNA, etc)]"
~ Fr. Tim at Spirit of Vatican 2 "Catholic" Faith Community
- "Blogger Reflection Award ... Jay Anderson at Pro Ecclesia * Pro Familia * Pro Civitate. I have to love a lawyer who promotes orthodox Catholicism, family, citizenship, and devotion to my dear patron, St. Thomas More."
~ Anita Moore at V for Victory
- "If you check out conservative blogger Jay Anderson, you will see even more invective addressed toward Kmiec... Jay Anderson is a little more reasonable ... but he does constantly misrepresent the views of liberals in order to push his own agenda. Now as far as that goes, maybe [his] criticism of Kmiec is right."
~ The Platonist
- "Political analysis from a Catholic perspective. Excellent insight ..." "Favorite Catholic commentary ..." "... quality commentary without compromising the faith... a well written blog offering commentary on hot topics ... and other political tertiary topics. This Knight of Columbus is a convert with a passion for law ... If you want to flesh our difficult politically related topics such as stem cell research to abortion, this blog has it all for you."
~ Tito at Custos Fidei
- "[One of] my genuine must-reads just about every day."
~ G. Thomas Fitzpatrick at Recta Ratio
- "This blog is great, I find myself blogging, or not blogging a lot of what is posted over there. On top of that the title of the blog was one that I wanted originally, only to find that it was taken, and well represented"
~ Defend Us In Battle
- "I trust that our readers will understand after reading Jay’s post why Pro Ecclesia is one of the few blogs I check in on every day."
~ Donald McClarey at The American Catholic
- "Godwin’s Law Begets Anderson’s Law ... Unfortunately we are seeing Anderson’s Law in effect pretty much daily."
~ Ken at The Billings Free Press
- "Go to that blog at your own risk"
~ The Michigan Daily
- "There aren’t a lot of manly blogs in the Catholic blogosphere, in the sense of men talking about manly things... it’s a frequent topic at Pro Ecclesia and Thoughts of a Regular Guy, but it seems the list thins out quickly after that." ... the desire to be holy and the desire to be a good father thrives [at] ... Pro Ecclesia ... Jay Anderson’s popular blog ..."
~ Eric Scheske, National Catholic Register
- "A new breed of theological conservatives has taken to blogs ... to say the church isn't Catholic enough... Enraged by dissent that they believe has gone unchecked for decades, and unafraid to say so in the starkest language, these activists are naming names and unsettling the church... John Allen, Vatican analyst for the National Catholic Reporter, has dubbed this trend "Taliban Catholicism." ... on the Internet and in the church, conservatives are having the bigger impact... However, the conservative Catholic activists insist their faith, especially church teaching on abortion, inspires all their work."
~ Associated Press
- "To apply the term 'neoconservative' to me or any other Southerner is an oxymoron. The South is arguably the most conservative region in the country, but there ain't nothin' 'neo' about our conservatism. We've always been pro military and have favored a muscular U.S. foreign policy going back to the earliest days of the Republic ... The appellation 'neoconservative' by definition doesn't apply to the traditional conservatism of Southerners."
- The New Catholic Debate: Is It Ever OK to Punch a ...
- WikiLeaks Confirms Democrat Conspiracy to "Plant S...
- "The Wrong Side of History" -- Francis Cardinal Ge...
- Everything Old is New Again -- The Return of Catho...
- Did "Catholics Abandon Democrats" in 2014?
- 225 Years Ago Today - First Presidential Inaugurat...
- St. John Paul II, Ora Pro Nobis!
- Happy Feast Day of St. Patrick - 17 March
- Pat Archbold's "Controversial" Call for Pope Franc...
- The Passion of the Kmiec Revisited: WTF?
- March 2005
- April 2005
- May 2005
- June 2005
- July 2005
- August 2005
- September 2005
- October 2005
- November 2005
- December 2005
- January 2006
- February 2006
- March 2006
- April 2006
- May 2006
- June 2006
- July 2006
- August 2006
- September 2006
- October 2006
- November 2006
- December 2006
- January 2007
- February 2007
- March 2007
- April 2007
- May 2007
- June 2007
- July 2007
- August 2007
- September 2007
- October 2007
- November 2007
- December 2007
- January 2008
- February 2008
- March 2008
- April 2008
- May 2008
- June 2008
- July 2008
- August 2008
- September 2008
- October 2008
- November 2008
- December 2008
- January 2009
- February 2009
- March 2009
- April 2009
- May 2009
- June 2009
- July 2009
- August 2009
- September 2009
- October 2009
- November 2009
- December 2009
- January 2010
- February 2010
- March 2010
- April 2010
- May 2010
- June 2010
- July 2010
- August 2010
- September 2010
- October 2010
- November 2010
- December 2010
- January 2011
- February 2011
- March 2011
- April 2011
- May 2011
- June 2011
- July 2011
- August 2011
- September 2011
- October 2011
- November 2011
- December 2011
- January 2012
- February 2012
- March 2012
- April 2012
- May 2012
- June 2012
- August 2012
- September 2012
- January 2013
- February 2013
- March 2013
- April 2013
- May 2013
- June 2013
- August 2013
- September 2013
- January 2014
- February 2014
- March 2014
- April 2014
- November 2014
- March 2015
- April 2015
- October 2016
- February 2017
- Current Posts
- Big Pulpit
- Catholic Chronicle (Diocese of Toledo)
- Catholic News Agency
- Catholic News Service
- Catholic World News
- Cybercast News Service
- Drudge Report
- Eternal Word Television Network
- Fox News
- Laura Ingraham (listen to Laura live)
- National Catholic Register
- National Review Online
- Toledo Blade
- Vatican Radio
Church, Culture & Public Policy Links
- Acton Institute for the Study of Religion and Liberty
- American Life League
- Cardinal Newman Society
- Catholic League for Religious & Civil Rights
- Catholics in Alliance for the Common Good (liberal Catholic organization / Democrat front group)
- Catholics for the Common Good (NOT to be confused with the above wholly-owned Democrat subsidiary)
- Catholics for Faithful Citizenship (liberal Catholic organization)
- Catholics in the Military
- Catholics in the Public Square (not to be confused with the blog by the same name)
- Catholics in the Public Square - a voter guide by the Most Reverend Thomas J. Olmsted, Bishop of Phoenix
- Catholics United for the Faith
- Center for Economic and Social Justice
- Communion & Liberation
- Crisis Magazine - Politics, Culture & the Church
- Culture of Life Foundation & Institute
- Ethics and Public Policy Center
- Federalist Society for Law and Public Policy Studies
- Fidelis - Defending Life, Faith & Family
- FIRST THINGS - the Journal of Religion, Culture, and Public Life
- Human Life International - Pro-Life Missionaries to the World
- InsideCatholic.com - Faith * Culture * Politics (Succesor to Crisis Magazine)
- The Jacobite Heritage
- Maximus Media Group
- National Law Center for Children and Families
- Notre Dame Center for Ethics and Culture
- One Nation Under God
- Priests for Life
- Pro Ecclesia et Pontifice
- The Fact Is.org - News & Opinion on Social Policy
- Thomas More Law Center
- Thomas More Society Pro-Life Law Center
- Witherspoon Institute, The
Catholic Publications; Church & Family Resources
- Latin Vulgate with parallel Douay-Rheims English Translation
- Catechism of the Catholic Church
- Compendium of the Catechism of the Catholic Church
- Compendium of Catholic Social Teaching
- Beginner's Latin (online tutorial)
- Advanced Latin (online tutorial)
- National Catholic Register
- Our Sunday Visitor
- Catholic Parent Magazine
- Faith & Family Magazine
- Amator League (Fr. Phillip Chavez)
- Ave Maria Radio
- Catholic Family Land
- Catholic Kids Net
- Catholic Kids Press
- Catholic Life - the Magazine of Catholic History & Culture
- Catholic Men's Quarterly
- Catholic Parents Online
- Christendom Awake (Fr. Aidan Nichols, OP)
- Crossroads Initiative
- Decent Films
- Domestic Church
- Dr. Ray Guarendi
- Fathers for Good (an initiative of the Knights of Columbus)
- Movie Picks
- National Association of Catholic Families
- Parent Leadership
- Relevant Radio
- SaintCast (A podcast devoted to all things Saint-like)
- St. Joseph's Covenant Keepers
- Unusual Adventures in Ohio and Beyond
- Women for Faith & Family
- WhipperSnapper Books - A Collection of Children's Catholic Literature
Mandatum and Oath of Fidelity Schools
- The National Catholic Register's College Survey
- Aquinas College, Nashville, Tennessee
- Augustine Institute, Denver, Colorado
- Ave Maria School of Law, Ann Arbor, Michigan
- Ave Maria University, Naples, Florida
- Belmont Abbey College, Belmont, North Carolina
- Benedictine College, Atchison, Kansas
- Christendom College, Front Royal, Virginia
- The College of Saint Thomas More, Fort Worth, Texas
- DeSales University, Center Valley, Pennsylvania
- Franciscan University of Steubenville, Steubenville, Ohio
- Holy Apostles College and Seminary, Cromwell, Connecticut
- John Paul the Great Catholic University, San Diego, California
- Magdalen College, Warner, New Hampshire
- Our Lady of Corpus Christi, Corpus Christi, Texas
- Our Lady of Holy Cross College, New Orleans, Louisiana
- St. Gregory's University, Shawnee, Oklahoma
- Southern Catholic College, Dawsonville, Georgia
- Thomas Aquinas College, Santa Paula, California
- The Thomas More College of Liberal Arts, Merrimack, New Hampshire
- University of Dallas, Dallas, Texas
- University of St. Thomas, Houston, Texas
- University of Sacramento, Sacramento, California
- Walsh University, North Canton, Ohio
- Wyoming Catholic College, Lander, Wyoming
Other Catholic Universities
- The Catholic University of America, Washington, D.C.
- University of Notre Dame, South Bend, Indiana
- Providence College, Providence, Rhode Island
My Almae Matres
- The University of Virginia School of Law, Charlottesville, Virginia
- Baylor University, Waco, Texas
- Van High School, Van, Texas (home of the Fighting Van Vandals)
State of Ohio Blogger Alliance
Virginia Catholic Alliance
Catholics in the Public Square
Oswald Sobrino of Catholic Analysis
Jay Anderson of Pro Ecclesia * Pro Familia * Pro Civitate
Jeff Miller of The Curt Jester
David Schrader of Catholics for Bush
Christopher Blosser of Against The Grain
Catholics Against Joe Biden
Stephen Dillard of Southern Appeal
Christopher Blosser of Against The Grain
Jay Anderson of Pro Ecclesia * Pro Familia * Pro Civitate
I'm a Rat Bastard in the Pro Ecclesia Lexicon of Political Epithets
©National Trust for Scotland
Subscribe to Posts [Atom]
Pray that, for the glory of God and in the pursuit of His justice, I may be able in argument, accurate in analysis, keen in study, correct in conclusion, loyal to clients, honest with all, courteous to adversaries, trustworthy with confidences, courageous in court. Sit with me at my desk and listen with me to my clients' tales. Read with me in my library and stand always beside me so that today I shall not, to win a point, lose my soul.
Pray that my family may find in me what yours found in you: friendship and courage, cheerfulness and charity, diligence in duties, counsel in adversity, patience in pain -- their good servant, and God's first. AMEN.
Dear Scholar and Martyr, it was not the King of England but you who were the true Defender of the Faith. Like Christ unjustly condemned, neither promises nor threats could make you accept a civil ruler as head of the Christian Church.
Perfect in your honesty and love of truth, grant that lawyers and judges may imitate you and achieve true justice for all people. AMEN.
"Give me the Grace Good Lord, to set the world at naught; to set my mind fast upon Thee and not to hang upon the blast of men's mouths. To be content to be solitary. Not to long for worldly company but utterly to cast off the world and rid my mind of the business thereof."
"The ordinary acts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest."
"What does it avail to know that there is a God, which you not only believe by Faith, but also know by Reason: what does it avail that you know Him if you think little of Him?"
"The things that we pray for, good Lord, give us grace to labour for."
"I die the king's good servant, and God's first."
~ On the scaffold, July 6, 1535 ~
Give me, good Lord, a full faith and a fervent charity, a love of you, good Lord, incomparable above the love of myself; and that I love nothing to your displeasure but everything in an order to you.
Take from me, good Lord, this lukewarm fashion, or rather cold manner of meditation and this dullness in praying to you. And give me warmth, delight and life in thinking about you.
And give me your grace to long for your holy sacraments and specially to rejoice in the presence of your blessed body, sweet Saviour Christ, in the holy sacrament of the altar, and duly to thank you for your gracious coming. AMEN.
"The future of the world and the Church passes through the family" (Familiaris Consortio, #79).
"It is necessary to go back to seeing the family as the sanctuary of life... In the face of the so-called culture of death, the family is the heart of the culture of life" (Centesimus Annus, #39).
- Pope John Paul II
Pray For Us!