Monday, June 16, 2008

What the Andersons Did for Father's Day Weekend

Here's what we did for Father's Day Weekend. This event, "Muster on the Maumee", takes place at Fort Meigs. Fort Meigs is a War of 1812 battlefield located in Perrysburg, Ohio, just outside of Toledo.

(That reminds me. Tomorrow - 17 June - is the 196th anniversary of the date Congress passed the disastrous declaration of war against Great Britain that resulted in the War of 1812. The anniversary of the date President Madison signed the declaration of war is the day after tomorrow. Disastrous war declaration notwithstanding, I am SOOOOOOO looking forward to the bicentennial commemoration of the War of 1812, which will begin 4 years from now in 2012 and run through 2015. We plan to take the kids to as many sites associated with the War as possible, including not only historic sites that are just up the road from us such as Fort Meigs and Put-in Bay (the site of Perry's victory aboard The Niagara in the Battle of Lake Erie), but also, hopefully, battlefield sites in Michigan, Ontario, New York State, Baltimore, and New Orleans.)

Even though Fort Meigs is associated with the War of 1812, "Muster on the Maumee" provides an opportunity to see reenactor units from Roman times all the way up through the present day. (Including the quite jarring site of seeing reenactors depicting SS units and Soviet Red Army units - I mean, WHO does that? How does one decide to take up the hobby of depicting Hitler's SS? Interestingly, the only swastikas on display were runic-looking ones associated with the group portraying the Vikings.)

Here are some photos from our visit to Fort Meigs over the weekend:





























Previous Pro Ecclesia posts on this subject:
Put In Bay - Site of Perry's Victory on Lake Erie

Aboard The Niagara

Tall Ship Niagara Coming to Sandusky Bay

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 6/16/2008 11:07 AM, Blogger PB said...

Looks like fun. I heard the cannon shots while taking a morning walk with my 4 year old.

Ft. Meigs is only 1/2 mile from my house.

 
At 6/16/2008 11:14 AM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

Yeah, I looked for you, wondering if you might be there.

 
At 6/16/2008 11:16 AM, Blogger DP said...

I'm not sure I've ever heard of re-enactments for the post-Civil War era.

Maybe the Spanish-American War, but I'm not sure about that.

Yeah, and getting gussied up in SS duds is...problematic. Besides, you can't re-create the battles of the Eastern Front without scads of armor and artillery anyway.

 
At 6/16/2008 12:48 PM, Blogger PB said...

I guess I'm not as big of a war of 1812 buff as you are Jay! I didn't even know it was going on until I heard the cannons on Sunday morning and thought "something must be going on at Fort Meigs?" :)

To my credit though, I've been pretty stinking busy lately studying for the GMAT, which I took on Saturday morning.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger