Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Malthusian Nonsense in the Extreme: "When Should You Die?"

First, take a gander at Blackadder's post highlighting a "green" calculator that determines the optimal age at which you should die in order to "save" the planet:

I’ve noted previously the thin green line that separates parody from reality, but I have to say that the folks behind this website have taken unintentional self-parody to an all new level. The site, which appears to be associated with the Australian Broadcasting Company, asks kids to calculate their family’s level of greenhouse gas emissions. Based on these answers, the site calculates “when you should die” in order to not use “more than your fair share of Earth’s resources.” If you put in the “average” answers for all of the questions, you will be told you should die at age 9.

(emphasis added)

Then, read my friend Rick Lugari's spot-on comment:
Heh. 5.8 years old. Of course, that makes perfect sense considering the disordered and hate filled agenda of the environmentalist movement. It's not about ordered stewardship of Creation, though some Catholics try to rationalize it as such. It's all about hatred of the family, the common man, and the natural law. The self-important wannabe elites think they know what's better for the common man than he does and are driven to shape the world in their own image. They follow every trend in absurdity and use scare tactics to push their agenda.

Take this exercise as an example. First, the premise shows where their priorities are and how they view life - "when should you die". Your existence and life as a person is of no consequence, but what is of consequence is the environmentalist's view of how things should be under their authority. The life of men is held in contempt, as a plague upon the god (Earth), except of course, themselves, those they care about and their partners in hatred.

Second, they have a horribly disordered view of the dignity of man and family. Notice how if you live with a family you should die earlier? Also, if you're poor, you should die earlier. If you are single, living in a flat in a big city, and have the luxury of a bunch of disposable income to blow on expensive organic food and invest in "green companies" (maybe something as stupid and corrupt as a company that sells carbon credits), you are fairly okay in their book and deserve to live long to lonely death.

For the purpose of my point I will give a little more personal info than I would normally care too, but I think the example is appropriate. I live in an old suburb of Detroit (it borders the city). I work less than three miles from home, my wife homeschools our children - and we have two special needs kids. I have a total eight people living in a 960 sq ft home. I have just one vehicle, a 13 year old full sized van (an absolute must with my family size) that gets 13 mpg.

I'm very conscientious about my energy consumption - not because if a kid leaves a light on in the bedroom I think the oceans will rise and sweep us away, but because I can't afford to be peeing money away to the power company and taxes. I don't and won't buy organic food. Is it better for us? Probably. Would it do anything to keep the oceans from sweeping us away? Very much doubt so. Would it be an act of good stewardship of the blessings I have received to buy organic? Absolutely not! Good stewardship dictates that I buy what we need as cheaply as possible. I buy store brand stuff on sale, make trips to budget stores like Aldi's every month or two to stock up on staples. To live and house my family it takes every penny I have, plus borrowing some; to buy organic and invest in Al Gore's shyster scheme is beyond my ability.

I have many personal faults, vices, and personal disappointments, but as I step back and try to look at my life (lifestyle?) objectively, I think I am living a life that is in accord with what we're called to do. And while the scare mongers and elitist tyrants may believe that people like myself and my family are a plague on the Earth and shouldn't live to see their sixth birthday - I know the Truth: Life is sacred, even theirs. That man has stewardship of Creation, but Creation is to serve man. Christ became Man Incarnate, not Rock Incarnate or Tree Incarnate. And that the family is both the foundation and ends of a just society - any scenario, worldview. or political ideology that doesn't reflect that in theory or reality is an error or simply positively evil.
And then, feel free to tell the environazis* pushing this nonsense to go **** themselves.


*At this point, I don't think its too extreme (and I'm quite willing to run afoul of Godwin's Law to do so) to describe the folks pushing this "when you should die" nonsense to KIDS as "environazis".


Previous Pro Ecclesia posts on this subject:
"Climate Change" Asshattery

Using Food for Fuel ...

Population Control Movement is "Number One Violator of Human Rights," Author Claims

USAToday Columnist: Religion is Killing the Planet

The Pitter-Patter of Carbon Footprints ...

Cardinal Pell Criticizes Australian Medical Ass'n for Publishing Letter Advocating Carbon Tax on Children

Professor Solves Global Warming: Let’s Tax Reproduction

Global Alarming Update: Focus on So-Called "Carbon Footprint" Anti-Family

Malthusian Nonsense from "Global Warming" Alarmists

Manly Men Don't Go in for Global Warming Hysteria

Cardinal Pell on Global Warming Alarmists: "Scaremongers" and "Zealots"

Labels: , , , , , , ,

10 Comments:

At 6/04/2008 9:33 AM, Blogger Literacy-chic said...

Well, I get to live to 12.2, which means I guess I have to sacrifice my firstborn to the Green Gods next year. I'll miss him. This nonsense is actually aimed at children? I guess the old folks who haven't cared as much as they were supposed to about the environment have been a miserable failure, and all we can do now is brainwash the next generation. My son brought home a "Water Wise" kit at the end of the school year. It was not as inflammatory, but I objected to the monitoring of our water use. No one tells me how much to fill up the bathtub, than you very much!! I was made to feel like the big, bad, closed-minded parent for saying that I didn't want him to participate. Like the Australian death calculator, it asks a lot of questions that kids just don't (or shouldn't) know. In fact, I had trouble answering some of these. The Water Wise stuff was mostly irrelevant, as it assumed that the respondee owns his/her own home and has control over appliances, watering lawns and the like. Which we don't. But it didn't advocate killing us if we exceeded the recommended water allowance, so I guess we should consider ourselves lucky. This is right out of dystopian fiction.

 
At 6/04/2008 9:38 AM, Blogger Literacy-chic said...

I think I misunderstood one of the questions, which means that I really have a much shorter life. I am reminded of the Star Trek episode when the people march willingly into elimination chambers in response to simulated attacks on their city...

 
At 6/04/2008 10:10 AM, Blogger Jeffrey Smith said...

There's far more of a "hate filled agenda" on your blog, lately. The sarcasm, vitriol, and hatred of anyone who doesn't agree with your own idealogy is really getting out of control.

 
At 6/04/2008 10:24 AM, Blogger Literacy-chic said...

Okay, Jay, where's your "when you should die if you don't agree with me" calculator? ;)

I don't sense any hate, here, just an honest engagement with some really problematic events and issues. Sarcasm, sure, but what is sarcasm but a rhetorical strategy?

 
At 6/04/2008 10:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are over-reacting Jeffrey Smith.

OHIO JOE

 
At 6/04/2008 10:39 AM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

I'm sorry you feel that way, Jeffrey. I think you know enough about me to know that I have as one of my personal goals to steer clear of "vitriol and hatred" (not so much the sarcasm, since that's just how I write).

I suppose I should ask for some specific examples. The closest I've come to "vitriol" (I've expressed "hatred" toward no one, unless telling someone who thinks I should've died at 9 years old to "**** off!" can be considered "hatred") would perhaps be my posts on Professor Kmiec. But my barbs at him aren't based on his support for Obama or disagreement with my "ideology", but rather on his lame excuse-making to justify it. I've stated many times that there is a justifiable case for supporting Obama (in fact, I've pointed out that M.Z. Forrest has made that case), but that Kmiec has thus far floundered in doing so.

I doubt it could be that I have backed policies or candidates that are out of step with the Church, since I steadfastly refuse to do that sort of thing (see, e.g., my refusal to back McCain because of his stance on ESCR and my concerns over his pro-life bona fides and his bellicosity on matters of war).

Apart from that, I'm at a loss as to what it is you deem so offensive. It could be that I express my political opinions as strongly as you express your opinions on matters, and that you just happen to disagree with me. But we've agreeably agreed to disagree in the past, so I'm not sure why there is a problem now.

 
At 6/04/2008 11:31 AM, Blogger Darwin said...

Wow, I get to live to 15.5

I'm darkly charmed by how the pig explodes at the end leaving nothing but the tail in a pool of blood.

 
At 6/04/2008 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There's far more of a "hate filled agenda" on your blog, lately. The sarcasm, vitriol, and hatred of anyone who doesn't agree with your own idealogy is really getting out of control.

Pot. Meet kettle.

I'm sorry, Mr. Smith, but there is no more angry, bitter, or vitriolic blogger that I have seen than yourself. Your blog is nothing more than angry, scurrilous attacks on everyone who happens to hold a different viewpoint than yours. I have seen you call "conservative" bloggers every name under the sun. You have practically excommunicated all conservatives from Catholicism.

And you have the nerve to castigate someone else for spreading a "hate filled agenda."

I really hope you're engaging in satire, because if you mean what you say . . . that's just sad.

 
At 6/04/2008 12:47 PM, Blogger Zach said...

My annoyance at things like this is soothed when I sit down at Mass on Sunday mornings and gleefully observe all the home-schooling families with 5+ kiddos.

We'll overwhelm 'em with sheer numbers! :)

 
At 6/04/2008 4:14 PM, Blogger Kyle Cupp said...

A particularly sick instance of the war paradigm at work: we are interpreted as enemies of the earth to be destroyed when the time is right.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger