Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Conservatives Who Should Know Better Continue to Flirt With Disaster

Maggie Gallagher writes that she's "Thinking Hard About Rudy":
I've never voted for Rudy Giuliani in my life. But I'm thinking hard about it now.

In both cases, I surprise myself.

***
I never voted for Rudy when I lived in New York City for one simple reason: abortion. I don't look for purity in politicians, just for some small pro-life reason to vote for a guy: Medicaid funding, parental notification, partial birth abortion. Throw me the slightest lifeline, otherwise I assume he just doesn't want the vote of people like me. Rudy never did. So I never gave him my vote.

And of course it doesn't help now to recall the way Rudy treated his second wife, nor do I particularly want to imagine the third Mrs. Giuliani as Laura Bush's successor. So I could have sworn, even a few months ago, that I'd never vote for Rudy Giuliani, in spite of my deep respect for his considerable achievements as mayor.

So why would I even think of changing my mind? Two things: national security, and Hillary Clinton's Supreme Court appointments.

When I ask myself, who of all the candidates in both parties do I most trust to keep me and my children safe? The answer is instantaneous, deeper than the level any particular policy debate can go: Rudy Giuliani. And when I look ahead on social issues like gay marriage, the greatest threat I see is that the Supreme Court with two or more appointments from Hillary Clinton, will decide that our Founding Fathers, in their wisdom, created a national constitutional right to whatever social liberals have decided is the latest civil rights battle.


[More]
My Comments:
So short-sighted - it has to be about more than just winning the next election.

And I can't believe some conservatives are so naive as to actually buy Rudy's B.S. about nominating judges like Scalia, Thomas, Roberts and Alito. What about the man who endorsed Mario Cuomo over George Pataki and considered endorsing Bill Clinton over Bob Dole makes these conservatives think that they can trust him with Supreme Court appointments? It's just nuts!

Here's where you can find the REAL Rudy - a treasure trove of Rudy quotes that betray the man's true liberal colors.


Previous Pro Ecclesia posts on this subject:
Has Rudy "Earned" a Pass From Conservatives?

Why Catholics Cannot Vote for Rudy Guiliani

Rudy Giuliani Says He Backs Pro-Life Laws But Supports Legal Abortion

Rudy’s a No-GoThat's News to Me

Resources Rolling In for Pro-Abort, Pro-Gay, Anti-Gun Presidential Candidate (and He's "Catholic" to Boot)

The Pro-Giuliani Crowd Tries to Rehabilitate the Mayor's Image Among Pro-Lifers

Brownback: I Could Support Rudy

For the Second Day in a Row, I Find Myself in the Uncomfortable Position of Agreeing With the DNC

Meet the Next President: Giuliani Tops in Early GOP Polls

Presidential Election Still 2 Years Away, But GOP Seems Intent on Self-Immolation

The Conservative Case Against Rudy Giuliani In 2008

Southern Appeal Takes on The Anchoress' Support for Rudy Giuliani's Presidential Aspirations

Pro-Abort, Pro-Gay, Anti-Gun Republican Tops Pro-Abort, Pro-Gay, Anti-Gun Democrat in Recent Poll

Four in 10 Republicans Would Not Find McCain an "Acceptable" Nominee

Pro-Abort/Pro-Gay Republican Tops Pro-Abort/Pro-Gay Democrat In Presidential Poll - Who Cares?

Pat Robertson Says Giuliani Would Be "Good President"

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 2/21/2007 12:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm starting to think these folks would vote for Hillary in 2008 if only she would a) switch back to being a Republican and b) wear an "I ♥ Scalia" t-shirt at a couple campaign events.

 
At 2/21/2007 2:01 AM, Blogger Jean Heimann said...

All you have to do is look at his voting record to see where he stands. How can this country be safe when babies are being murdered in their mother's wombs everyday and when the disabled and the elderly are being sentenced to death?

We must nominate and elect a pro-life president or things will only get worse.

I don't doubt for one minute that Giuliani would nominate pro-death Supreme Court Justices. He is a liberal and would make the same type of appointments that Hillary and Obama would make.

Hillary will lie and cheat to get whatever she wants -the only person she cares about is herself. She is extremely manipulative.

Obama is a demo(n)crat robot who is too dumb to think for himself - he simply says "Yes" to everything on the liberal agenda. The press and others call him "articulate", but the man is only good at memorizing speeches that are written for him. He cannot debate or argue anything logically, using reason. I have seen him in action.

There is no perfect candidate that I know of, but there are candidates out there who are considerably much better than Hillary, Obama, and Giulani. Obama and Hillary are truly bottom of the barrel candidates.

Tom Tancredo and Sam Brownback are the only viable candidates that I see at this point in time, but both need more exposure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger