Toledo Centenary Hymn Competition
From the Diocese of Toledo website:
The Diocese of Toledo is sponsoring a competition for a liturgical song in celebration of the Diocesan Centenary in 2010. This song will be premiered on October 7, 2009 at the Mass for Our Lady of the Rosary that will be broadcast live on EWTN. Publication of the winning composition is guaranteed by GIA Publications, Inc.
1. The song is intended for the Communion procession, particularly for, but not limited to, Marian feasts. It could also be used at Evening Prayer.
2. The text is to have the structure of a refrain for the congregation and verses for cantor or choir.
3. The text is:
Refrain: My soul rejoices in God who has done great things for us.
Verses: (Magnificat, Revised Grail Psalter, Luke 1:46-55)
My soul proclaims the greatness of the Lord,
My spirit rejoices in God my Savior
for he has looked with favor on his lowly servant.
From this day all generations will call me blessed:
The Almighty has done great things for me,
and holy is his Name.
He has shown the strength of his arm,
he has scattered the proud in their conceit.
He has cast down the mighty from their thrones,
and has lifted up the lowly.
He has filled the hungry with good things,
and the rich he has sent away empty.
He has come to the help of his servant Israel
For he has remembered his promise of mercy,
The promise he made to our fathers,
To Abraham and his children for ever.
4. A unison setting is to be provided that can be sung by cantor and assembly with organ for both refrain and verses. Choral harmony should be included for times when a choir is present.
5. Organ accompaniment is to be provided.
6. An optional C instrument part may also be included.
7. Entries must be postmarked no later than August 1, 2009, accompanied by an entry fee of $10.00 payable to Diocese of Toledo and the registration form stapled to the score.
8. A cash prize of $750.00 will be presented to the winner. The judges reserve the right not to select any of the entries. The decision of the judges will be final.
9. Entrants agree that if their entry is selected, the copyright will be assigned to GIA Publications, Inc.
TOLEDO CENTENARY HYMN COMPETITION
Phone number _______________________________________
E-mail (optional) __________________________________
I agree to all the rules and conditions set forth in the guidelines for the Toledo
Centenary Hymn Competition.
Entries must be postmarked no later than August 1, 2009. Include entry fee of $10.00 payable to Diocese of Toledo. Staple this registration form to the score.
Mail to: Centenary Hymn Competition
Diocese of Toledo
P.O. Box 985
Toledo, OH 43697