Monday, February 16, 2009

The King of Western Swing

I'm going to be doing a series on Texas music over the next couple of weeks, culminating with a final post on the subject on March 2, which is Texas Independence Day. (I might throw in one more post for good measure on March 6, which is the anniversary of the fall of the Alamo.)

Yesterday, I posted about a new CD that I'm looking forward to purchasing: "Willie and the Wheel". That particular concept album by the incomparable Willie Nelson and the world renown Western Swing band Asleep at the Wheel pays tribute to the music that Texas made famous.

Or, rather, that Bob Wills and the Texas Playboys made famous:








Previous Pro Ecclesia posts on this subject:
Willie & The Wheel

Not-So-Random Thought on a Saturday Afternoon While Listening to a Bob Wills Tribute Album With My Kids ...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 2/16/2009 10:38 PM, Blogger Adam The Stoic Nontheist said...

This is great, Jay. Thank you for this. I also saw your post from last year on "Faded Love," and it being perhaps the greatest country song. I tend to agree. If it is not number one, it is definitely in my top five. The original version brings tears to my eyes every time, because the fiddle is so well done. I also particularly like Elvis' rock and roll version.

Haggard tells a story in one of his autobiographies that Bob Wills was in attendance of one of Merle's shows, and Merle dedicated "Faded Love" to Bob, and when he was finished playing, Merle looked down to see big tears streaming from the legend's face. That's what I love about this music, is its ability touch the soul of those who listen to it.

When I was a kid I always loved Alabama, and I could never figure out what the words meant in the song "If You're Gonna Play in Texas," where he said "Rosin up your bow for FADED LOVE. . ." and "I remember down in Houston they were puttin' on a show, when a cowboy in the back stood up and yelled COTTON EYED JOE." It was only about two years ago I was driving down the road, listening to that song for a countless time and I realized that the reference was to Bob Wills.

 
At 2/16/2009 10:39 PM, Blogger Adam The Stoic Nontheist said...

BTW, I am A Y. I was using the Name/URL option just because I had changed my handle so you would recognize who I was. Then I forgot to use it, and thought i might as well just use my handle. Anyway, Goreds (Go Reds, lol)=A Y.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger