Saturday, January 24, 2009

Perhaps, One Day ...

I have reposted below an update to my original post about the President's decision to overturn the Mexico City Policy:
UPDATE #4 (24 January)
It's now a done deal.

Perhaps, one day, certain bloggers at certain blogs that purport to support a consistent ethic of life will find it in them to castigate President Obama for actually doing this heinous thing with as much vigor as they castigate his opponents for pointing out what the President has done (or for such trifling matters as being off by one or two days as to when the policy reversal would actually happen).

Perhaps, one day, certain bloggers at certain blogs that purport to support a consistent ethic of life will not seek to minimize the importance or gravity of such acts, but will instead criticize the President's anti-life policies with something a little more forceful than the mild scolding inherent in "While Obama is certainly wrong here, just look at how much more wrong his opponents are there." Oooh, that tu quoque deflection will really do the trick of bringing the President around to an ethic of life.

I suppose it might be giving certain bloggers too much credit to hope that they might react the same way I did when my presidential candidate of choice, Sen. Brownback, didn't respond as forcefully against the use of torture as I thought he should have. Mind you, I didn't (and don't) believe for one minute that Brownback actually supports torture, but I was angry that I hadn't heard an unequivocal denunciation of waterboarding and other so-called "enhanced interrogation techniques". I would appreciate the same level of outrage and indignation from Obama's Catholic supporters when he engages in policy-making that ought to shock our consciences.

Perhaps, one day. We can always hope.

UPDATE (25 January)
But don't mind me ... I'm just a "baby-worshipping weirdo".

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At 1/24/2009 9:49 PM, Blogger  said...

My blog is an equal opportunity comment zone.

 
At 1/24/2009 11:03 PM, Blogger Sir Galen of Bristol said...

And, perhaps one day, pigs will fly.

The pigs, at least, seem more willing to fly than some bloggers seem to be willing to criticize the President's pro-abortions actions and promises.

 
At 1/26/2009 1:41 AM, Blogger Terry said...

I'm just a "baby-worshipping weirdo".

Well Jay, I should be sleeping but I'm a mess about this whole situation. I know it's not right, but I just couldn't help but be cynical about the whole post card signing when certain intentions were stated well before the outcome of the election that 60% of my co-religionists chose to ignore.

Basically, I just wanted you to know you're not alone in the above sentiment. I take comfort, when attacked or something bad happens, in knowing I'm not alone. We still have the ultrasounds of the two children we lost to miscarriage. I, but my wife especially, still grieve over their loss. Some consider us weirdos for that, since they were either fetuses or "tissue." But seeing them, and the subsequently the ultrasounds of the two we have here on Earth with us, in addition to seeing the latter two for the first time, all had the same effect: letting us see the hands and face of He Who created them. So to see Him in them, all of them, is to worship them I guess. And if that makes me a baby worshiping weirdo, okay. I've been much worse.

Sometimes it's the tough fighters like you with great talents in writing that keep the others of us from despairing, so keep it up. I'll be praying for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger