Thursday, October 23, 2008

Amy Welborn: "Back to the Future" on Abortion

(Hat tip: Creative Minority Report)

Something tells me that if "The One" is elected, we'll be hearing more stories like this about not a few Catholic Obama supporters come January of 2009:
... But I do remember a few things with startling specificity - usually, as you might expect, things with particular personal resonance or of great interest to me.

Take January 23, 1993. I remember that. Okay, so I didn’t remember the date until I looked it up, but I did remember it was the Saturday after Clinton’s first inauguration. And I was attending a workshop for catechists. In attendance at the workshop was an older religious sister. At one point, we were sitting next to each other and the new administration in Washington came up.

The sister was dismayed. “Did you hear what President Clinton did?”

I nodded.

(If by chance, you have forgotten: Jan. 22: President Clinton reverses years of pro-life progress by issuing five executive orders reversing Title 10 regulations banning abortion referral by federal employees, repealing the Mexico City Policy restricting federal funding of international organizations that work to reverse countries’ abortion laws, negating the ban on funding for fetal tissue transplants, ordering military hospitals to perform abortions, and asking the FDA to “review” the import ban on RU 486.”)

Yes, I’d heard about that.

“I just can’t believe he did that,” Sister continued. “I don’t understand why he would do those things. I supported him.”

I was surprised, but not really. I tried to point out to Sister that President Clinton had run on an abortion rights platform supported in word and funds by abortion-rights groups, and reversal of these policies was a stated and clear goal of these groups.

She just shook her head again. “I still can’t believe it.”


[More]
My Comments:
Then again, something tells me that the overwhelming majority of Catholic voters for Obama FULLY EXPECT him to follow through on his pro-abortion agenda, won't be surprised in the least by it, and, in fact, will make excuses for it (just as they're spinning like crazy now trying to explain away his abortion record - and even calling it "pro-life" - in the lead-up to the election).


Previous Pro Ecclesia posts on this subject:
George Weigel on Kmiec's "Flawed Thinking"

Archbishop Chaput: Kmiec Doing a "Disservice to the Church"

Doug Kmiec Claims Democrats Making "Steps Toward Honoring Life" in Platform

Doug Kmiec Again Places Platitudes Above Policy [UPDATED]

Doug Kmiec Soon To Be Sorely Disappointed

Did Doug Kmiec Just Now Catch On That Obama and NARAL Are Politically Conjoined? [UPDATED]

Kmiec's Wishful Thinking on Obama and Abortion

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 10/23/2008 10:01 AM, Blogger DP said...

The Catholic Obama supporters must be made to understand that if their candidate wins, they *own* FOCA, taxpayer-funded abortions, taxpayer-funded embryonic stem-cell research, the Mexico City policy, etc. Along with that war Biden warned them about in his "rhetorical flourish" of a couple days back. The last of which may be justifiable under Catholic principles, but there you go.

Fairness compels me to admit that Catholic McCain supporters will own the embryonic stem-cell issue and any unjust warfare that may occur on his watch.

Just so as all our consciences are fully-informed and whatnot.

 
At 10/23/2008 10:18 AM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

"Catholic McCain supporters will own the embryonic stem-cell issue ..."

When you put it in those terms ... way to make me stay home on election day. ESCR is the primary reason I haven't come out in support of McCain, but I'm definitely not going to do it if that means I'm going to "own" ESCR.

By the way, I am in 100% agreement with your point. I will hold Doug Kmiec and his ilk personally responsible for every bit of Obama's pro-abortion agenda. And they'll hear about it, too. Every chance I get, I will rub it in their faces.

And especially Kmiec. Not only will he "own" Obama's abortion agenda, he will be the Catholic face of that agenda. Every time there is a setback for pro-lifers, I intend to put up a post titled "Obama Abortion Update: Obama signs FOCA, etc., etc." with Kmiec's photo in it, and the caption: "This Obama Abortion Update has been brought to you by Obama's Ambassador to the Vatican, Douglas Kmiec."

But, then again, it's not me to whom they ought to worry about being held personally acountable.

 
At 10/23/2008 11:09 AM, Blogger DP said...

Note the careful use of "may" in relationship to ESCR and unjust war. McCain at least has shown some movement (thanks to Brownback) on the issue, and in any event won't sign FOCA, etc. War is much more speculative (for both candidates).

 
At 10/23/2008 11:12 AM, Blogger DP said...

Plus, unlike light to moderately-blue Michigan (though I am starting to wonder on that), you are at ground zero of the State which will decide the election. Again. Your voting position counts more than most.

 
At 10/23/2008 11:12 AM, Blogger Sir Galen of Bristol said...

I disagree that Catholic McCain supporters will "own" his ESCR position, because McCain's Catholic advisors (e.g.: Sen. Brownback) have urged him to change that position, and many of us have consistently criticized McCain for this position.

OTOH, Obama has had no appreciable criticism from leftist Catholics for his abortion positions, quite the opposite, they've provided extensive cover for Obama on those positions.

I'm still asking, if there are so many Catholic Democrats, why is there no significant pro-life movement in the Democratic Party? Could it be because they're Democrats before they're Catholic?

And Jay, as for your contingency plans should (God forbid) Obama be elected, I have similar plans of my own.

 
At 10/23/2008 11:28 AM, Blogger Zach said...

My peeps in the local Kansas Catholic community tell me that Brownback has made huge strides with McCain on ESCR.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger