Thursday, July 10, 2008

Summer Reading List

Books on English Catholicism (pre-Deformation and post-Deformation):

The Stripping of the Altars: Traditional Religion in England, 1400-1580 by Eamon Duffy

Yes, I'm STILL reading this one. I'm plodding along, actually, and the fault lies with me, not the book. In fact, it's a GREAT book, but very dense. I read a few pages at a time here and there, in between my other reading. Hope to complete it this summer.


The Quest for Shakespeare: The Bard of Avon and the Church of Rome by Joseph Pearce

I'm REALLY looking forward to reading this. I'll write a review of the book and post it here when I've completed reading it.



Books on Catholic Social Thought:

A Civilization of Love: What Every Catholic Can Do to Transform the World by Carl Anderson

Here's a post I did about the book when it first came out in March. I'm just now getting around to reading it this summer. I'll write a review of the book and post it here when I've completed reading it.



Books on some local Ohio history/War of 1812:

1812: The War That Forged a Nation by Walter R. Borneman

I finished this one last week. A very good, concise and "thoroughly readable popular history of the War of 1812." The title, however, should be "1812: The War That Forged Two Nations", in reference to both the U.S. and Canada.


A Signal Victory: The Lake Erie Campaign, 1812-1813 by David Curtis Skaggs and Gerard T. Altoff

The definitive history of the Battle of Lake Erie (September 10, 1813), as well as the events leading up to and in the aftermath of the battle. I hope to start on this one next week.


War on the Great Lakes: Essays Commemorating the 175th Anniversary of the Battle of Lake Erie by David Curtis Skaggs (Editor)

A look at the Battle of Lake Erie compiling essays from the War on the Great Lakes Symposium that took place on the 175th anniversary of the battle 20 years ago - the bicentennial of the Battle of Lake Erie is in 5 years. I'm currently reading this one and hope to finish it up this weekend.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 7/11/2008 9:15 PM, Blogger Darwin said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one making very slow progress through Stripping of the Altars, which come to think of it I think I bought at your advice. I'm enjoying it, but I seem to keep setting it aside and finishing other books first.

 
At 9/17/2008 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eamon Duffy's "Voices of Morebath" is a more specific examination of the English Reformation. This tiny village's last Roman Catholic pastor, Sir Christopher Trychy documented the parish's life through the turbulent years of Henry VIII's schism from Rome. It's a fascinating book, and really opened my eyes about this period. As a former Protestant, I was led to believe that what Henry did was much like what Luther and Calvin did in Europe - simply wiped away medieval pagan superstitions and brought forth modern Europe. Was I wrong! It was much more complex in England in particular, and much more difficult. Furthermore, there were quite a few British who survived as Roman Catholics throughout this period ("recussants"). As a Traditional Anglican I pray for the day this schism can be repaired, and we can one day, hopefully soon, be reunited with Rome. I am looking forward to reading some books on English recussants, including Dr. Christopher Haigh's "English Reformations: Religion, Politics and Society under the Tudors". You may find that interesting as well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger