Friday, April 11, 2008

Is Michael Steele on McCain's "Short List" for VP?

(Hat tip: Patrick Archbold at Creative Minority Report)

Lt. Gov. Michael Steele
(Matt Houston/AP)

From U.S. News & World Report:
Sen. John McCain disclosed that he is in the "embryonic stages" of selecting a running mate, whom he hopes to introduce at the Republican National Convention. While he refused to disclose any names, McCain told reporters that the list is about 20 deep, and "it's every name imaginable." This is one of a series of profiles on the candidates we imagine might be on his list and some things you may not know about the maybe-veeps. See the full list here.

[More]
My Comments:
McCain could definitely help himself among social conservatives and Catholic voters by adding a devout Catholic like Michael Steele to his ticket.

In fact, of the possibilities for Veep that would help convince me to vote for McCain, all are devout Catholics. My top choice for the VP job is, of course, Sen. Brownback, but I think Steele or Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal would be great choices, as well. (And looks like I'm not the only one who thinks this way.)

If McCain wants my vote, he'll add one of those men to his ticket.


Previous Pro Ecclesia posts on this subject:
The Story Behind Steele: No One Offered RNC Chair to Marylander

Incredibly Stupid Move

Michael Steele to Head GOP?

Steele Gaining

Black Democrats Pledge Backing to GOP's Steele

One of the Best Preemptive Political Ads That I've Ever Seen

Maryland Lt. Gov. (and U.S. Senate Candidate) Michael Steele Reaffirms Catholic Values

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 4/11/2008 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd love to see Steele on the ticket. The most devastating thing about the entire 2006 election was to see Steele lose to a has-been here in the People's Republic of Maryland.

 
At 4/11/2008 10:14 AM, Blogger Christine the Soccer Mom said...

I'd feel better about McCain if he stopped talking about the government as if it's the answer to everything. What's up with this stupid mortgage thing?? I'm sorry, but if you got a mortgage that you seriously couldn't afford, wouldn't that be a sign to get a smaller house in most cases?

Maybe I should have gone to him when I realized that we shouldn't have bought that van. Instead, we sold it so we could be rid of the debt.

I'm so jaded this year. I'm positive I'll be holding my nose come election day.

 
At 4/11/2008 10:19 AM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

"I'm so jaded this year. I'm positive I'll be holding my nose come election day."

You and me both, Christine.

 
At 4/11/2008 12:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Michael Steele would be an inspired choice. He is sound on the issues, bright and a fighter.

 
At 4/11/2008 12:46 PM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

McCain-Steele would definitely be a good counter-balance to Obama-Casey, which is where I think the Democrat ticket may be headed (assuming the pro-deathers don't balk at having Casey Jr. as the VP nominee).

And let me say that if Obama were to put the "pro-life" Casey on the ticket, he would be virtually unbeatable, short of McCain making an inspired choice like Steele or Jindal.

 
At 4/11/2008 1:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

assuming the pro-deathers don't balk at having Casey Jr. as the VP nominee

Why would they? From their perspective -- other than his name and that spell that it seems to cast over anti-choice christianists, what wrong has Casey ever done?

Plus remember how Joe Lieberman was made the toe the line by every Democratic interest group in the week after Gore picked him as a ticket-balancing, unconventional choice? That was awesome.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger