Wednesday, February 27, 2008

I Want to Vote for Sam Brownback ...

... and, by golly, I'm going to vote for him!

Last night, I was on the telephone with my Dad, who will be voting in the Texas primary next week. He asked me who I was voting for in the Ohio primary, which is on the same day as the one in Texas.

I went into this long soliloquy about how I had initially supported Brownback, had become disillusioned with the entire GOP field after Brownback left the race, was resigned to the fact that McCain was going to be the GOP nominee (and wasn't exactly happy about that), and wasn't going to dirty my hands by trying to muck up the works in the Democrat primary.

So, I said (as I have said here and elsewhere) that I will probably vote for the most pro-life candidate, which means either Mike Huckabee or Ron Paul.

But then I started thinking: if my vote is going to turn out to be merely symbolic anyway, why shouldn't I vote for the guy I wanted to vote for all along? Why shouldn't I vote for the candidate whose positions on the entire spectrum of issues come most closely to those of the Catholic Church? Even if that candidate is no longer in the running.

So, I've changed my mind about who I'll be voting for in next week's Ohio primary. It won't be Huckabee or Paul.

I'll be writing in Sam Brownback.

Labels: , ,

8 Comments:

At 2/27/2008 8:59 AM, Blogger PB said...

Nice...

 
At 2/27/2008 9:42 AM, Blogger Sir Galen of Bristol said...

A vote for Paul or Huckabee would serve to hold McCain back from additional delegates, enough of which would clinch the nomination for him.

A vote for Brownback will not have that effect.

 
At 2/27/2008 9:47 AM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

I'm not concerned about that anymore, Paul. McCain is the nominee. When the convention rolls around, he'll get the votes he needs to win the nomination. That's just how it works in the GOP.

Any vote on my part for Huckabee or Paul will not change that. So, I may as well vote for the guy I wanted to support all along.

 
At 2/27/2008 10:00 AM, Blogger Tito Edwards said...

Pretty interesting. I to am ambivelant towards what's left, and I originally wanted Brownback as well.

I'll be voting here in Texas as well and I probably will consider that option... a pretty good option to.

 
At 2/27/2008 11:47 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Re: Jay,

I'm with you. I'll vote for the guy I wanted to be the nominee, whoever he is.

McCain is the nominee. Doesn't mean I have to like it, or sheepily accept it at the polls.

 
At 2/27/2008 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A vote for Paul or Huckabee would serve to hold McCain back from additional delegates, enough of which would clinch the nomination for him.

To quote Annakin Skywalker, it's . . . too late . . . for that.

I almost voted for Thompson myself during the MD primary, but wound up voting for McCain in the end. I have my issues with him, but I prefer him vastly more than Huckabee and Paul.

Is OH an open or closed primary?

 
At 2/27/2008 12:17 PM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

I'm pretty sure it's open.

 
At 2/27/2008 1:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure it's open.

So no temptation to switch sides and vote for Hillary :) My Jewish mother-in-law, who believes that Hillary is the anti-Christ, is voting for her in Texas because she thinks she's more beatable. I'm not endorsing her actions (or beliefs), but I think it is funny.

BTW, I can't believe I blew the Star Wars line. "Nothing can stop that now." Not only am I a dork, I'm a stupid dork.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger