Monday, February 04, 2008

Ramesh Ponnuru on Santorum's Endorsement of Romney

Ramesh Ponnuru writes at The Corner on National Review Online:
Santorum's Endorsement

Mark Hemingway interviewed the former senator on his Romney endorsement. As the senator tells it, one event that helped him to decide was an encounter with a McCain supporter at a dinner last week. "I ran into someone who was with the McCain campaign and I know had spent some time down in Florida, that walked up to me at an event and before I could even say hello said, ‘We beat you.’ And I thought that to be a rather odd statement because I wasn’t on the ballot. So who is ‘you’? Who did they beat? They surely didn’t beat me, Rick Santorum.” The former senator took the McCainite to be boasting that the campaign had beaten conservatives as a group.

The dinner, Santorum has elsewhere said, was for the Susan B. Anthony List, which works to elect pro-life women. I was at that dinner. It was not exactly crawling with people hostile to conservatives. Perhaps the senator misinterpreted the remark?
(emphasis added)

My Comments:
"Perhaps the senator misinterpreted the remark?"

Ya think? Since the person who allegedly said "We beat you" to Santorum was attending a pro-life fundraiser, I think it's quite likely that "you" didn't refer to conservatives. And certainly not social conservatives.


UPDATE
At InsideCatholic, Todd M. Aglialoro and Deal Hudson are having an interesting back-and-forth regarding Santorum's endorsement of Romney (as well as Manuel Miranda's and Sam Brownback's endorsement of McCain) here, here and here.


Previous Pro Ecclesia posts on this subject:
Guy Who Once Endorsed Arlen Specter Now Endorses Mitt Romney

Santorum Says McCain Unreliable on Pro-Life Issues

Santorum Attacks McCain's Conservative Credentials

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger