Saturday, March 24, 2007

"The Tudors"



Cable movie channel Showtime has a new original series called "The Tudors". I don't get Showtime, but I do have DIRECTV, which is previewing the first 2 episodes of the series on Channel 101. I'm watching Episode 1 right now.

Interesting, but looks like the usual historical inaccuracies and T & A fare (including rather graphic depictions of Henry's sexcapades) that you see on "historical" drama series on premium cable channels like HBO and Showtime (see, e.g., "Rome").

A fairly solid cast, including Jeremy Northam as Sir Thomas More, Sam Neill as Cardinal Wolsey, and a rather youngish-looking Jonathan Rhys Meyers as Henry VIII.

Based on what I've seen in the first 40 minutes, I'm guessing the hero of the series turns out in the end to be a martyred saint of the Church.

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 3/26/2007 10:32 AM, Blogger Rich Leonardi said...

I watched the first two episodes and thought it was awful. That little actor who plays the far more physically imposing HVIII struts, pouts, and fornicates his way through a mish-mash of a plot. The acting is bad, and the historical inaccuracies are numerous.

 
At 3/26/2007 10:54 AM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

After I posted my comments, I watched the remainder of the 1st episode and the 2nd episode, and I agree with you, Rich. It was pretty awful. And Jonathan Rhys Meyers was completely miscast in the lead role.

As I said in my initial impressions, this program contains the usual historical inaccuracies and T & A that accompany "original series" on premium cable channels.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger