Thursday, June 29, 2006

Bishop Robert Lynch: New Mass Translation "Slavish" and "Strict"

(Hat tip: Rich Leonardi at Ten Reasons)

Bishop of St. Petersburg, Florida, Robert Lynch, reports to his flock on the new Mass translation:
The [previous 1973] translation was rejected by the Holy See because between its passage and its approval by the Vatican, new principles of translation were forthcoming which insisted on a slavish, strict translation of the Latin text.
As Rich notes at his blog:
Brought to you, of course, by the man who twiddled his thumbs during the Schiavo crisis and then misspelled her name once she was dead.

Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi.
My Comments:
Let me just say that I am not fond of Bishop Robert Lynch's leadership (or rather, lack thereof).

UPDATE
Father Martin Fox's comments to this post are, of course, entirely correct regarding the respect one should show to the office of Bishop. I have, therefore, revised my comments above accordingly.

I suppose if you have to stop to ask yourself whether the doing of something makes you a "bad Catholic", you've probably already answered your question.


Previous Pro Ecclesia posts on this subject:
Bishop Lynch FINALLY Speaks Out ...

Terri Schiavo's Brother Critical of Bishop Lynch

4 Comments:

At 6/29/2006 8:49 PM, Blogger Fr Martin Fox said...

I don't wish to make this point as if it has more authority than it does, but: I would be loathe to speak of "contempt" of a bishop (let alone calling it "complete and utter"), out of respect for the office. Just me.

 
At 6/29/2006 9:57 PM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

You're right, Father.

I am not fond of the man's leadership, but he is a successor to the apostles, whether I like it or not.

I will revise and extend my remarks accordingly.

 
At 7/04/2006 7:39 AM, Blogger Brother James said...

It's telling that the adjective 'slavish' pops up when an obediance is requested or fidelity suggested. There's an aversion to service and true discipleship in America these days. Why else do the liberals always couch their dissent as rebellion against an unreasonable tyranny?
Yeah, Jay, I catch myself being less than charitable when dealing with prelates whose performance of their office is less than courageous. I'm sure that there's a reason that God allows Weaklands and McBriens to run the course they do. We just have to guard agaist sliding into Donatism (as I have found recently).

 
At 7/05/2006 9:55 AM, Blogger Tom McKenna said...

A bishop may well do things which are contemptible. Justice and respect for truth sometimes require that a bishop's contemptible actions be shown. All Jay was doing, IMHO, was expressing this.

A bishop who bad mouths the Vatican and his fellow bishops by maligning their attempts to shore up the sorry state of our new liturgy, and who has, as Jay has amply documented, been on the wrong side of the Terri Schiavo case, is a bishop worthy of contempt.

Sad to say, one of things Vatican II supposedly rid us of, "clericalism," (the notion that somehow those in Holy Orders are exempt from criticism even when they attack the Faith) is still used to silence the laity when they cry out against the occasional wolf in sheep's clothing.

Keeping calling 'em like you see 'em, Jay.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger