Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Paul Zummo on Rick Santorum and It Takes a Family

My friend Paul Zummo writes at The American Catholic on why he is supporting Rick Santorum:
I recently completed Rick Santorum’s It Takes A Family. I quipped on Twitter that had I read this before the campaign started then Santorum would have been my top Rick pick before that other Rick entered the race (though I still maintain that Governor Perry would have been an outstanding nominee, but no need to go there)...

The book title really says it all. The heart of Rick Santorum’s political philosophy is the family, meaning that to him strong families are the heart of any functioning society. The family has been undermined both by big government programs and by the culture at large. Santorum mocks the “village elders” who view more government programs as the solution to all problems. Santorum acknowledges that many of the problems we face don’t have quick and easy fixes, and often no legislative action can be taken. Santorum offers a series of small policy proposals that are aimed at giving parents and individuals in tough economic circumstances some tools to help, but he also emphasizes the doctrine of subsidiarity. Ultimately we must rely principally on local institutions, starting with the family.

Santorum understands what even some on the right fail to appreciate, and that is we can’t divorce social issues from economics. The breakdown of the family coincides directly with economic hardship. If we want a healthier economy, we need healthier families...


[...]

I would like to end on a personal note. When I was a kid I dreamed of running for the presidency in 2012 – the year I turned 35 and became constitutionally eligible. Obviously that has not happened. Yet, running for the presidency now is a slightly dweebish, socially conservative, Italian-American. It’s kind of the next best thing to running myself. Well, when I see the passion with which Santorum writes about issues that matter to me, I can’t help but respect the man. The second half of this book is terrific, and the sincerity of his convictions particularly shines through when he is discussing abortion. Some of you remain skeptical that such a man can actually win a general election. I am not gonna link to the polls that suggest otherwise. I just want you to consider that if you’re like me and believe as I do on the issues that matter most, we might not ever again get a chance to put someone who shares so many of our convictions in the White House. So don’t cast your vote out of some fear of what might happen in November.

[Read the whole thing]
I am in complete agreement with Paul's assessment. Just put up my Santorum yard signs yesterday, and will gladly pull the lever for Santorum in next week's Ohio Primary.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 2/28/2012 2:32 PM, Blogger Paul Zummo said...

I don't think either of us would have predicted that we would be making this call just a few months ago.

 
At 3/01/2012 6:37 PM, Blogger Michael D. said...

I wish I was still a Republican so I could go vote for Santorum here in LA. Like you two, I'm surprised to find myself in this spot, but especially after today's vote I don't see another option.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger