Monday, October 26, 2009

Mo Do Attacks My Bishop

Maureen Dowd, the house embittered spinster at The New York Times, has written another unhinged screed attacking the Catholic Church for ... well ... even a Catholic "progressive" like Michael Sean Winters can't quite figure it out:
... I read Maureen Dowd’s column in the New York Times yesterday in which she attacks the Catholic Church for…well, it is hard to tell exactly what she is attacking the Church for because her brushstroke is so wide...
What is clear is that dear Mo not only attacks the Holy Father (which, of course, is de rigueur), but she also goes after my own Bishop, Leonard P. Blair:
... The nuns are pushing back a bit, but it’s hard, since the church has decreed that women can’t be adversarial to men. A nun writing in Commonweal as “Sister X” protests, “American women religious are being bullied.”

She recalls that Bishop Leonard Blair of Toledo, who heads one of the investigations, moved a meeting at the University of Notre Dame off campus to protest a performance of “The Vagina Monologues.”
[ED.: So, what's your point? Is this supposed to be considered a "bad" thing? By the way, have I mentioned lately that I LOVE my Bishop?] “It is the rare bishop,” Sister X writes, “who has any real understanding of the lives women actually lead.”

[...]

Marcy Kaptur, a Democratic congresswoman from Toledo and one of Bishop Blair’s flock
[ED.: Don't even get me started on Marcy Kaptur], got a resolution passed commending nuns for their humble service and sacrifice. “The Vatican’s in another country,” she said. “Maybe people do things differently there. Perhaps the Holy Spirit will intervene.”
My Comments:
Hey, Mo! I have just one thing to say:

Catherine Zeta-Jones!!!

Okay, that was a bit below the belt, I know. But that's about all the effort I can manage for one of Dowd's tantrums.

I'm afraid that if you want a more substantive response (and less ad hominem) to Mo Do's nonsense, you'll have to read it over at Fr. Z's blog or at Winters' piece linked above.

(Hat tip: Opinionated Catholic)

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger