Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Pro-Life Kudos to Michael Sean Winters

(Hat tip: The Catholic Key Blog)

It appears that "progressive" Catholic Michael Sean Winters has already answered the questions I raised at the end of my previous post.

I've certainly been a harsh critic lately of the America Magazine contributor, so I would be remiss if I didn't give kudos to Winters for this recent post at the America blog:
To be clear: I have never voted for a Republican in my life. My mother told me my right hand would wither and fall to the ground if I did. But, if the President or my representatives in Congress support federal funding for abortion in any way, shape or form, I will never vote for them again and I might risk my right hand in the next election by voting for their opponent.

So, call your Senators and Representatives. Call the White House. Many of us pro-life Democrats have given the President the benefit of the doubt on the abortion issue because of his repeated commitment to trying to lower the abortion rate, a commitment he reiterated to Pope Benedict XVI last week. All the good will he has earned among Catholic swing voters, and all the arguments on his behalf progressive Catholics have mounted, all could be swept away if abortion is part of a federal option in health care. Politics is the art of compromise, but on this point, there can be none.


[Read the whole thing]
My Comments:
Well done!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 7/16/2009 12:08 AM, Blogger Matthew A. Siekierski said...

I haven't read the post by Winters, but I have a concern with a part of what he wrote:

All the good will he has earned among Catholic swing voters, and all the arguments on his behalf progressive Catholics have mounted, all could be swept away if abortion is part of a federal option in health care.

What about all the babies that will be killed? This statement is focused on Obama and his popularity, not on life.

In fact, looking further at it, it looks to me like Winters wasn't unhappy that Obama supported abortion, but will be unhappy if he feels like he was lied to.

I wish I saw it differently, but the focus seems to be on "Obama is going to betray us, and damage himself and us in the process", not on "Obama is going to allow the federal plan to include abortions!"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger