Friday, May 01, 2009

The REAL Beneficiaries of Abortion (Hint: It Ain't Women Who Are the Ones Being "Liberated")

(Hat tip: Amy Welborn)

Today's must-read piece is at First Things:

For many members of the Notre Dame Class of 2009, the uproar surrounding the university’s decision to honor Barack Obama with this year’s commencement address, and to bestow on him a doctorate of laws, has provoked strong feelings about what the ensuing conflict will mean for their graduation.

I know how they feel. Ten years ago, my heart was filled with similar conflicts as we came closer to the day of my own Notre Dame commencement and my commissioning as an officer in the United States Army.

You see, I was three months pregnant.

***
When I returned to campus, I ran to the Grotto. I was confused and full of conflicting emotions. But I knew this: No amount of shame or embarrassment would ever lead me to get rid of my baby. Of all women, Our Lady could surely feel pity for an unplanned pregnancy. I recalled her surrendered love to God’s invitation to become the home of the Incarnate Word. “Let it be done to me according to thy word,” she had said. In my hour of need, on my knees, I asked Mary for courage and strength. And she did not disappoint.

My boyfriend was a different story. He was also a Notre Dame senior. When I told him that he was to be a father, he tried to pressure me into having an abortion. Like so many women in similar circumstances, I found out the kind of man the father of my child was at precisely the moment I needed him most. “All that talk about abortion is just dining-room talk,” he said. “When it’s really you in the situation, it’s different. I will drive you to Chicago and pay for a good doctor.”
[ED.: It's selfish bastards like this that give men a bad name. But I suppose it would be a stretch to refer to that individual as "a man".]

I tried telling him this was not an option. He said he was pro-choice. I responded by informing him that my choice was life. And I learned, as so many pregnant women have before and since, that life is the one choice that pro-choicers won’t support.

***
So, without my boyfriend’s support, I graduated from Notre Dame on schedule with a bachelor’s degree in American Studies. I earned my ROTC commission as a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army. I returned to my parents’ home in Florida, having been granted a delay from active duty. I sought and received advice and loving counsel from Kimberly Home, a pregnancy resource center in my hometown. And I prepared to give birth to the human being who has given me the greatest and most unexpected joy in my life.

***
Through the State of Florida Child Support Enforcement Agency, I obtained a court order for my daughter to receive child support from her father.
[ED.: At least the bastard wasn't able to completely shirk his responsibilities.]

***
Notre Dame is a special place, but it is not immune to the realities of modern life. There are students who face unplanned pregnancies, and—most tragically—women who think their only option is abortion. Statistics show that one out of every five women who have an abortion is a college student; many of these women cite the fear that they will not be able to complete their education as a primary reason. On campuses all across this country, abortion is the status quo. We need to change that with an unambiguous stand for life, and Notre Dame needs to be in the lead.

There have been many things written about the honors to be extended to President Obama. I’d like to ask this of Fr. John Jenkins, the Notre Dame president: Who draws support from your decision to honor President Obama—the young, pregnant Notre Dame woman sitting in that graduating class who wants desperately to keep her baby, or the Notre Dame man who believes that the Catholic teaching on the intrinsic evil of abortion is just dining-room talk?


[Read the whole thing]
(emphasis and editorial commentary added)

My Comments:
Folks, that is the most eloquent statement yet on Notre Dame's decision to honor our pro-abortion ... errrr, excuse me ... "pro-choice" ... President.

That final question to Fr. Jenkins in this young woman's piece is THE question that cuts to the heart of the matter. Honoring the President at our Nation's premiere Catholic institution, despite his dismal record on life issues, gives the impression that the civil rights issue of our time - the plight of the unborn - is NOT REALLY all that important. Indeed, to a world in desperate need of strong witnesses for life, the honoring the President makes it seem that the Church's pro-life stance is, in fact, "just dining-room talk".

Labels: , , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At 5/01/2009 10:59 AM, Anonymous m.z. said...

I hope you don't mind the tangent here, but I can't think of any strongly patriarchal society that has endorsed abortion. Abortion rights have always been the fruits of feminism and women's liberation. I think we make an error when we claim women aren't a "real" beneficiary of abortion.

 
At 5/01/2009 11:11 AM, Blogger Terry said...

A powerful piece. She destroys two pro abortion canards: 1. That abortions are primarily a result of poverty. 2. "Pro lifers" only care about life up to the point of birth -- if a non-profit medical facility for pregnant college women doesn't show care for babies born, I'm not sure what does.

 
At 5/01/2009 3:52 PM, Blogger Michael D. said...

MZ:

I think we could argue about whether or not the West is truly feminist, and whether modern feminism doesn't share a lot of the preconceptions that patriarchal societies held.

That said, I would think ancient Rome counted as a patriarchal society and approved infanticide.

Nevertheless, it is not as if women don't gain anything from abortion; it's just that often the men around them gain much more and suffer much less.

 
At 5/01/2009 7:16 PM, Blogger Bob the Ape said...

A society full of immature males who screw around but won't face up to their responsibilities isn't patriarchal - it's puerile.

 
At 5/02/2009 2:14 PM, Anonymous Donald R. McClarey said...

The ancient Greeks were patriarchal and they freely practiced both abortion and infanticide.

 
At 5/03/2009 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does not really matter. Even if he was a good man and assumed his responsibilites and raised more children with her, she would likely tire of him, divorce him with the encouragement of her local priest and bishop, get an annulment, use the "ex-husband" as a bank in absentia sleep with and marry another guy or two and leave a string of broken children who, usually, leave the Catholic Church or grow up to hate it and their parents!

Get real folks. The Catholic Church has abandoned truth, has had lousy pastors for a few generations and is reaping what it continues to sew.

I know, off topic, deleted.

And the abortion melodrama goes on as if it were the only serious issue!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger