Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Lent Beer


Here's something I won't be giving up for Lent ... I'm delighted to report the following about my domestic beer of choice - Shiner Bock:
Shiner Bock — Shiner's flagship beer. Bock has been brewed since 1913, almost as long as the Spoetzl Brewery has been in business. However, it wasn't until a few decades ago that Shiner began producing Bock year-round. Bock was considered a lent beer, and therefore was only made around that season.
Source: Wikipedia entry for "Spoetzl Brewery" (emphasis added).

Here's more:
Shiner: The town was named after Henry Shiner, who donated 250 acres to get it started in 1887.

Bock: A type of wheat-based lager, this beer was popular among monks who needed sustenance during the fasting season of Lent.

Spoetzl Brewery: Kosmos Spoetzl was the Bavarian brewmaster who bought the brewery in 1915 and started brewing what would become Shiner Bock.
Source: Dallas Morning News story "Deciphering the label of a Shiner Bock", May 30, 2008 (emphasis added).

So, I'm going to follow the example of the monks who drank bock during Lent, and continue to drink Shiner Bock throughout the Lenten season. Because I'm going to need some sustenance during my fast from sweets and soda pop.

+:-)


Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 2/25/2009 10:25 PM, Blogger Nod said...

Hey, now there's a Lenten resolution I can get behind!

 
At 2/25/2009 10:28 PM, Blogger Christopher Blosser said...

Jay, you're killing me. (You and The Curt Jester -- as one who typically gives up meat and alcohol during Lent, I may have to consider new sacrifices next season. =)

 
At 2/26/2009 10:00 AM, Blogger PB said...

I love this, I've never tried Shiner Bock so I'll have to pick up a six pack and get started!

 
At 2/26/2009 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shiner Bock... a good bock-style lager. While not my favorite beer, it serves as my stand-by when I'm back home in Texas. My personal opinion is that it should take over the position of "National Beer of Texas" from Lonestar.

Other fine (superior IMHO) bocks and dopplebocks that hail from Deutchland inlude Salvator (probably the best known example), Optimator, and Celebrator (my personal fav in this category).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger