Friday, October 10, 2008

"The Real Maggie O’Connell": NRO Interviews Janine Turner

More from my old "girlfriend", Janine*:
Actress Janine Turner is known best for her role as the feisty and likable Maggie O’Connell on the hit TV show Northern Exposure. This fall, besides working on Friday Night Lights, she’s supporting the McCain-Palin ticket, even working as a spokeswoman for “Team Sarah,” a project of the Susan B. Anthony List Candidate Fund. Turner is also author of a book, released earlier this year, Holding Her Head High: 12 Single Mothers Who Championed Their Children and Changed History. She discusses Palin, Hollywood, motherhood, the culture of life, and more with NRO Editor Kathryn Lopez.


Kathryn Jean Lopez: Does Sarah Palin being on the national scene bring back Northern Exposure memories? Good or bad. Would you have been for McCain with or without her?

Janine Turner: Yes, Governor Palin brings back many Northern Exposure memories.

I was always so proud to portray the spunky, self-reliant, smart Maggie O’Connell. Maggie flew her own plane, shot her own moose, marched to the beat of her own drum. She was a breakthrough television character at the time. I am very flattered when the comparisons are made between Maggie O’Connell and Governor Palin. I created a character, but Governor Plain is the real deal.

I am supporting Governor Palin with pride. I actually cried when I heard she was nominated and heard her acceptance speech via Fox News XM radio. (I was driving to Austin to film Friday Night Lights). I am supporting and applauding her character, moral fiber, intellect, feistiness, and spunk. She is the essence of the independent spirit of America — the pioneer spirit — the type of spirit that made and makes America great. I have always supported Senator McCain, and I am sure I would have supported his vice-presidential candidate, but Governor Palin has really motivated me. I am making public/press appearances to rally support for her ( Inside Edition, ABC News, Bill Bennett radio, etc) and I am also sporting a McCain/Palin bumper sticker on my car — which I am driving onto the FNL set) and wearing my McCain-Palin hat around town. I have also joined a fabulous group of women in a movement called, “Team Sarah” dedicated to advancing and defending Gov. Palin’s candidacy.


Lopez: What are your hopes for Sarah Palin?

Turner: Well first, of course, that she becomes our first female vice president! She can and will accomplish much good in Washington. Beyond that, I hope she will inspire women across the country to be more involved in the political process. Whether it is running for school board or serving in Congress, real women just like Sarah Palin have a lot to contribute. I hope she will inspire them to take the first steps toward getting more involved in their community.

***
Lopez: Do you find yourself alone as a pro-life feminist in “the biz”? Or are you pleasantly surprised?

Turner: I believe in life at conception and I believe every child has a destiny and a God-given purpose. Unfortunately there are not too many of us. That is for sure. But I am always pleasantly surprised when someone in Hollywood has the courage to stand up for life. And I hope we see more Americans from all sectors stand up to protect the most innocent among us and speak out about the Born-Alive Infant Protection Act. It is beyond my comprehension that Sen. Obama thinks babies who are accidentally born after a failed abortion should just be left to die. It is truly heartbreaking.

***
Lopez: I know that you value marriage greatly. But as a single mom, what did you think of the whole Bristol Palin controversy? It’s important, isn’t it, if we’re pro-lifers, to support those who choose life, even when the situation isn’t ideal? We can be pro-marriage and pro-abstinence and still embrace unwed mothers and single parents, right? We must?

Turner: I believe that if a person is pro-life they should have an open heart to support the single mother because odds are great she will be. Judgment is for God not Christians. This is one of the reasons I wrote my book, Holding Her Head High – 12 Single Mothers Who Championed Their Children and Changed History, to inspire and support single mothers. It spans 18 centuries telling the life stories of 12 exceptional single mothers who were magnificent, strong, glorious, respected and the first in their fields.

The other side likes to claim that pro-lifers’ compassion only applies to unborn children in the womb. That’s simply not true. Our love and support extends to mothers of all stripes — married, unmarried, and divorced. When women choose life, they deserve our support, and you can see that support in the thousands of pregnancy counseling centers across the country. These are centers run by volunteers that provide mothers of all kinds with resources, support, training, and most importantly, love and support when they need it most.


[Read the whole thing]

* NB: Janine Turner is not really my "old girlfriend". See the link below for an explanation.


Previous Pro Ecclesia posts on this subject:
Northern Exposure

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 10/10/2008 2:23 PM, Blogger gordon gekko said...

Janine Turner....

We'll make sure we get you on our blacklist.

Hollywood

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger