Monday, September 22, 2008

Friday Night at "The Jake by the Lake"

Friday night, I got to attend my first Cleveland Indians game at Jacobs Field (note: I do not use that new name that they've given to the ballpark). I took my 4-year-old sports fanatic son, Aidan, along with me to see his first ever professional baseball game. The 6-5 9th inning victory over the rival Detroit Tigers was such a great game to see for our first time at the ballpark.

Watching Fausto Carmona pummel the headlocked Gary Sheffield was icing on the cake. (Of course, I had to explain to Aidan that the bench-clearing brawl we had just witnessed was inappropriate behavior and bad sportsmanship, and that Daddy was wrong to yell "Hit him again! Hit him again!").

We were fortunate to have 2 of the best seats in the house - on the front row along the first base line. We were practically right on the field. Sarah's grandmother had won the seats while attending a game the week before ... I'd have never been able to afford those seats otherwise.

And what a terrific fireworks show after the game was over. But nothing in comparison to the "fireworks" we had just witnessed on the field. One of the best and most exciting MLB games I've ever witnessed in person.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 9/22/2008 1:47 PM, Blogger PB said...

Cool, except for that whole "beating the Tigers" part.

 
At 9/22/2008 3:12 PM, Blogger Michael D. said...

I liked the part about you cheering on the fight. I've always wondered how I'll fare if I ever have the opportunity to bring a son into Tiger Stadium. Heck, I worry about him watching me just watch games on TV.My poor girlfriend had to listen to a diatribe on what exactly I thought should be done to Jason lee after he threw that interception. So I guess I'm saying you did pretty good under the circumstances lol.

 
At 9/23/2008 10:23 AM, Blogger mrsdarwin said...

Though I'm obligated to give lip service to the Reds and say "Boo, Indians" (home town team and all, though I don't really follow baseball), I would have loved to have seen you cheering on the fight. That's quality father-son time right there! You can probably mark that as the beginning of your son's life-long partisanship for the Indians.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger