Thursday, June 05, 2008

Passing the "Dignity Litmus Test"

(Hat tip: Feddie)

This pretty much nails where I am:

... To earn my vote, a politician must pass my dignity litmus test. Obama, like many Republicans and almost all Democrats, fails to meet that standard. But to earn my recognition of you as a fellow civilized human being, a person simply has to oppose crushing the heads of infants. Sadly, Obama fails to meet that standard too...
Yep.

But McCain also fails my version of the "dignity litmus test" because of his position on ESCR, which is why I probably can't vote for him either, unless he changes his position on that issue between now and November.

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 6/05/2008 1:29 PM, Blogger James H said...

LEt me ask this question as to your position. I don't know about you but many pro-lifers I have had to vote for in the past that were against abortion were for the exceptions of "Rape" and "health of the mother".

We all know how the health exception can be used for a lot.

Now I don't recall a lot of people or in fact debate that I could not or should not consider voting for the Pro Life Guy(with exceptions guy) when there was not a "no exception" alternative.

I can see your position here because of the the other moral questions here as to the issue you raise. However If I held this same standard to people on abortion there would have been no pro life advancement. I do share your concerns as but I do know there is no chance that McCain wil change his mind.

I am not sure if I am not making myself clear in this but my past examples of how I voted for Pro-Life (with exceptions) people is how how I see this issue.

 
At 6/05/2008 1:35 PM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

Here's the difference:

I've been willing to vote for candidates who oppose abortion with exceptions because adopting their position would be an actual IMPROVEMENT over the current situation.

The reason I'm not willing to vote for candidates who support ESCR is because adopting their position would result in an EROSION of the current pro-life situation. We're talking about launching a "brave new world" once we go down that path.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger