Friday, April 18, 2008

Opinions ...

..., they say, are like arseholes: everyone's got 'em, and they all stink.

Yesterday, in a post about TV commentator and blogger reactions to the liturgy at the Papal Mass, I expressed my initial impressions - in real time as I was watching EWTN - of the liturgical music selected for yesterday's Papal Mass.

Now, as a matter of principle, I generally stay away from discussions about liturgy - like the plague, in fact. I have never been to a Mass in the Extraordinary Form, and the Ordinary Form Masses with which I am most familiar are probably the sort with which most people in 90% of American parishes would be familiar. And, while OCP forms the basis of most of the music, I nevertheless happily attend Mass at my local parish without any complaints about the liturgy. Furthermore, if given the choice of driving only 5 miles down the road to attend Mass in the Extraordinary Form (a choice I don't have, by the way), I would still choose to attend my neighborhood parish and its OCP liturgical offerings.

Nevertheless, as I watched yesterday's Papal Mass, I did find it embarassing - yes, "embarrassing" - that, given what this Holy Father has written about the "Spirit of the Liturgy", the musical selections for the Mass were, apparently, all that America had to offer. Again, the sentiments I expressed were my immediate real-time opinions as I watched what was taking place.

I can understand that some might disagree with my assessment of the liturgical music that was chosen. I can even understand that some might find it inappropriate for me to express such sentiments regarding such a joyful occasion as a Papal Mass on U.S. soil (although I think Amy Welborn makes an excellent point, which expresses the motivation behind my sentiments).

But for the life of me, I can't figure out how someone might attempt to read my mind and conclude that expressing my immediate gut reaction evidences "sour grapes" or a desire to "return to pre-Vatican II days" or a "selfish agenda" or anti-Hispanic racism (as I've been informed some contributors at a certain blog I no longer frequent have said and/or implied).

On the other hand, I'm perfectly willing to acknowledge that the opinions expressed on this blog (especially where liturgy is concerned, which is why I try to avoid that subject altogether) might be full of bovine excrement.


Previous Pro Ecclesia posts on this subject:
"An Overweening and Preening Exercise in Multicultural Exhibitionism" [UPDATED]

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 4/18/2008 11:53 PM, Blogger Literacy-chic said...

Woah! And her eI thought that one could be aesthetically discriminating (to say nothing of opinions about the relationship between the mood created by the music and what one is supposed to be feeling/experiencing in the event itself) without having any kind of hidden agenda! Wow! We Catholics sure are a touchy lot!

 
At 4/19/2008 12:00 AM, Blogger Literacy-chic said...

I do like "One Bread, One Body," though. I know, scandalous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger