Thursday, February 07, 2008

Turn Off Talk Radio ...

... it's passed its sell-by date.

These paragraphs in a piece by Byron York at National Review give some indication:
... But what about what they’re hearing about McCain on talk radio? “I wish it would stop,” Lococo told me. “I’m a little surprised by Sean Hannity. Actually, he’s really made me angry about it, because he’s had Senator McCain on for years on his show, always treated him with respect, and when they disagreed it was not venomous like it is now. I was listening to Hannity in the car today, and I had to turn it off, I couldn’t listen any more, because it was like he was talking about Hillary Clinton or Al Gore or John Kerry.”

They’re just two people, but Jamieson and Lococo are a picture of the other side of the war over McCain. By any standard, they’re good conservative Republicans. They vote for the GOP candidate for president, they support the party’s positions, they don’t like Hillary Clinton, Al Gore, and John Kerry. They listen to talk radio. And they support John McCain...
The folks on talk radio - Rush, Hannity, Laura, etc. - would have enthusiastically supported Rudy Giuliani had he been more competitive for the GOP nomination. The fact that they can't quite bring themselves to support John McCain (who is significantly to the right of Rudy on most issues not involving Mammon) tells you all you need to know.

Turn it off.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 2/07/2008 11:55 AM, Blogger DP said...

I'm going to dissent, at least as regards Laura Ingraham. From what I recall, she was not pleased with Giuliani, at least at the outset. However, if there's evidence that she warmed to his candidacy, then I'll retract.

But dead on regarding Limbaugh and Hannity.

 
At 2/07/2008 12:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

True... that...

 
At 2/07/2008 12:09 PM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

I wasn't sure about Laura. I should've given her the benefit of the doubt since she's generally on the ball (and since we attended law school together).

I'll remove her name from the post.

 
At 2/07/2008 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm listening to Rush as we speak, and will continue to listen to Rush. Hannity I can do without.

I do think the conservative antipathy towards McCain is overdone. He is no liberal. But in a certain sense it can be argued that, the abortion issue aside, Rudy is more conservative than McCain, but I am in mood to have that debate right now.

 
At 2/07/2008 1:28 PM, Blogger Jeff Miller said...

Well I wouldn't go that far. No doubt without talk radio we would have had the "Dream Act" and Harriet Miers.

But this only proves what conservatives have always said is that they do no march march step to talk radio. When they make good points conservatives go along, when they disagree with the host on an issue they don't change their mind just because of the host.

I think what it proves is that a lot of talk radio hosts are not the pro-life people they make themselves out to be. Or they have decided the war on terror trumps everything else - which I think explains most of it.

But disliking McCain more than Rudy doesn't make all that much sense, except for maybe his chumminess with the left. McCain is certainly much more of a social conservative than Rudy was.

I don't listen to Rush all that much anymore and never thought him to be all that fervent of a social conservative, his brother is much better along those lines.

Hannity annoys me for the most part since he seems to regurgitate the same points over and over. Plus he is a cafeteria style Catholic when it comes to contraception so it can be no surprise that he is not as pro-life as he says. But he was very good when it came to Terri Schiavo.

I like Laura Ingraham the most since social issues are a priority for her and she was never a Rudy supporter.

Hugh Hewitt was also someone who after Romney wanted Rudy. Though I still enjoy his show for the most part, even when I disagree with him on something.

 
At 2/07/2008 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the animus toward McCain, which I obviously don't share (as someone who would have held his nose for Rudy in November had it come to that), is just about entirely a matter of personal style/temperament, and the memories of 2000.

It's not simply that he sometimes votes wrong, but that he seems to take pleasure in doing so and tweaking conservative noses. Since the campaign formally continues, I will support Huckabee when Virginia votes next week.

But ... as an accomplished fact ... he'll do. McCain beats Hillary and loses to Obama. So ... you go, girl!!!

 
At 2/08/2008 1:34 AM, Blogger Bender R said...

I never got the sense that Rush was on the Rudy love train.

Hannity, on the other hand, probably wishes that Rudy had left his wife to marry him.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger