Friday, February 08, 2008

Election 2008: Where I Currently Stand

The 2008 Presidential Election cycle began with my enthusiastic support for Sen. Sam Brownback's candidacy. Unfortunately, his campaign never caught fire (with Huckabee essentially stealing his thunder), and Sen. Brownback withdrew from the race fairly early on.

Since then, I have been undecided. From a Catholic perspective, none of the remaining GOP contenders could match Sen. Brownback's commitment to a "whole life" approach to public policy. Each had their own problems that kept me from jumping aboard any of their campaigns. As for the Democrat candidates, I don't vote for people who go to Planned Parenthood and brag about how each is more committed to killing the unborn than the other. So, I have just waited to see how things played out, while continuing to blog about where the remaining candidates stood vis-a-vis the issues that I view as most important.

After yesterday's events, I am resigned to the fact that Sen. McCain is going to be the GOP nominee (actually, I had resigned myself to that fact after the Florida primary, and confirmed by the results of Super Tuesday). As you can probably tell from my blogging, I'm not exactly enthused by the prospect. However, I was even less enthused by the prospect of a Romney nomination, so I suppose - to the extent McCain and Romney were the "frontrunners" for the nomination - that things worked out for the better.

But I'm still not particularly happy with having McCain be the nominee. While I recognize that he probably has the best chance of all the GOP contenders to beat the Democrat nominee in a year in which the GOP was always going to have long odds at re-capturing the White House, I also recognize that McCain has a dicey record on two issues of utmost importance to me: ESCR and the appointment of federal judges. He and his surrogates have made noises that McCain is coming around on embryonic stem cells, and McCain has promised to nominate judges in the mold of Roberts and Alito (I'd prefer in the mold of Scalia and Thomas, but Roberts and Alito will do). But I remain unconvinced. In the end, given the intensity of the commitment to Moloch on the other side of the partisan aisle, I will probably hold my nose, say a lot of prayers, and pull the lever for John McCain in November.

But the Ohio primary is still to come. Although the outcome of the nomination is clear, I still have the opportunity to have my say. I will vote for the most pro-life candidate on the ballot. When Ohio votes, I will cast my ballot for either Mike Huckabee or Ron Paul.

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 2/08/2008 12:34 PM, Blogger PB said...

Jay, I have been thinking along the same lines. I'm thinking Ron Paul for the primary, just to make the point.

I'll end up voting McCain in November, currently I don't seem him as too different from Bush, and I voted for W twice. I don't care for it but I'd rather not be saying President Obama.

I think Obama is going to get the dem nomination over Hilary and I'm terrified at the possibility he'll win.

 
At 2/08/2008 1:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thompson is still on the ballot in Maryland, so I think I'll just go ahead and pull the lever for him. If my vote is meaningless, I might as well vote for the guy I like.

 
At 2/08/2008 3:17 PM, Blogger Bender R said...

Unfortunately for you, Ohio could very well be another battleground swing state, where each and every vote counts. In many, if not most, areas of the country, their state will go for McCain or go for the Dem regardless of how a given pro-lifer of conscience might vote, and so he or she can safely stay home.

 
At 2/08/2008 3:21 PM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

Ohio will definitely be ground zero for swing states this November, just as it was in 2004.

Like I said, given the intensity of the commitment to Moloch on the other side of the partisan aisle, I will probably hold my nose, say a lot of prayers, and pull the lever for John McCain in November.

 
At 2/08/2008 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In terms of the general, I fully intend to vote for McCain. But again, in a state that is almost bluer than Massachusetts, it matters little.

 
At 2/08/2008 3:51 PM, Blogger Sarah Peel said...

I was going to vote in Tancredo(sadly he left in Dec),then Romney. Now their is zero,nobody i want to vote for. Plus i pretty sure that a Dem with win anyhow.

 
At 2/08/2008 3:54 PM, Blogger Sarah Peel said...

PS:McPain is only winning because he used the scare tactic. Not because of his so called "values".

 
At 2/09/2008 9:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found the perfect website to keep up to date on all Catholic issues for voting and life....
www.onenationundergod.org
Check it out. Its worth the time

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger