Received in Today's Mail: Faith, Reason, and the War Against Jihadism by George Weigel
Today, I received in the mail a review copy of George Weigel's new book Faith, Reason, and the War Against Jihadism: A Call to Action (Doubleday: December 26, 2007; $18.95; Hardcover; 208 pages).
In his bold manifesto, Weigel [a Catholic theologian and Distinguished Senior Fellow of Washington's Ethics and Public Policy Center] calls all Americans to confront and recognize the religious passions that fuel Islamic Jihadism. Weigel claims that, in order to do this, we must begin to:Once I've read it, I'll post my review of Weigel's book. I'm sure this book is likely to be a topic of much discussion and disagreement within the Catholic blogosphere.
1) Realize that the great human questions, including the great questions of public life, are ultimately theological
2) Demonstrate acknowledgement that the greatest achievements of the West are works of spiritual grace
3) Retire the idea that Christianity, Judaism, and Islam are the three Abrahamic faiths
4) Stop trying not to offend. Truth-telling is the essential prerequisite to genuine inter-religious dialogue
5) Try to bring about a non-violent regime change by engaging with the Iranian people, NOT their oppressors