Wednesday, September 12, 2007

More Catholic Patrimony Photos from the Family Archives

A few weeks back, I posted some photos from my father's childhood showing him with some unidentified (at least at the time) nuns. There was some speculation in the comments to that post about who the older nun might be, but all I knew about the photos was that they were taken in 1943, when my father was about a year-and-a-half old. I also assumed that they had been taken in Los Angeles, which is where my dad lived with his parents at the time.

Since that post, I have begun corresponding with one of my dad's O'Grady 1st cousins, and have received from him some additional photos and some additional information about the older nun in the photos.

This is Sister M. Sebastian Burke (Sisters of Charity of the Incarnate Word - see also here, here, and here). She was my great-great-aunt (the older sister of my Great-Grandmother O'Grady (nee Alice Burke)). Sister Sebastian was the first Mother Superior/Administrator of St. Bernardine Hospital in San Bernardino, CA (pdf).


This is a photo of my Grandmother Anderson (nee Margaret Mary O'Grady) pictured with her aunt (her mother's sister), Sister M. Sebastian Burke. My Grandmother was a beautiful lady. Sadly, she passed away when my father, the oldest of her 4 children, was only 5 years old.


Previous Pro Ecclesia posts on this subject:
I Love These Photos of My Father as a Little Boy

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 9/12/2007 1:29 PM, Blogger RobKPhD said...

What a wonderful history!

I lived not far from Saint Bernadine Hospital for a while.

 
At 9/12/2007 3:56 PM, Blogger Peter said...

Nice! Thanks for sharing and recapturing your Catholic patrimony!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger