Sunday, July 08, 2007

A Few Groundrules for Commenting at This Blog

I run a fairly open blog here as far as comments are concerned. Some blogs don't allow comments at all. Other blogs require that comments first be approved by the blog host before they are posted. Still others don't allow anonymous posting.

None of the above applies to this blog. I allow any and all comments, including anonymous ones, without screening them first. I have made only one exception in the 2+ years I have operated this blog, and that is with regard to wanting to avoid speculation as to the "personal reasons" why a priest recently declined to be named pastor for a nearby parish in the Toledo Diocese. Otherwise, I pretty much run an open forum, and have no problem with people taking positions that differ from mine. Believe me, I am fully capable of defending my views against all comers.

But I do have some groundrules if you'd like your comment to survive and not be deleted.

First, if your comment is a profanity-laced diatribe against the blog host and/or includes personal attacks against the host's wife and/or children, it is a sure bet that it will be deleted.

Second, if your comment includes scurrilous, gossipy commentary about priests or bishops (or, heck, anybody), it stands a good chance of being deleted. This includes any attack that calls into question the motives or integrity of the Holy Father or my bishop, Bishop Blair, as well as those who would make reference to "The Scandal" in an ad hominem fashion.

Third, and finally, if I specifically request that you withhold making a certain type of comment or commenting on a certain subject matter, I retain the right to delete your comment should you disregard my request.

I appreciate those who take the time to comment here, and respectfully ask that you adhere to these minimal groundrules. Feel free to disagree, but please do so agreeably.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 7/08/2007 6:55 PM, Blogger Sir Galen of Bristol said...

I disagree.

You should reserve the right to delete any comment from anyone at any time for any reason.

Except this one.

 
At 7/08/2007 7:22 PM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

I do retain that right, Paul. It's just that I don't, as a matter of practice, run this blog that way.

Of the dozen or so comments I've deleted in my 2+ years of blogging, almost every one of them has been in the first category that I have listed in this post. You'd be shocked to see what sorts of things brave people posting anonymously will say about one's wife and kids just because they disagree with what you have to say.

 
At 7/09/2007 11:59 AM, Blogger Jeffrey Smith said...

I wouldn't be shocked. I've been there.

 
At 7/31/2007 8:02 PM, Blogger Sean Lyons said...

Jay, it gets bad when people from various "organizations" (which will remain nameless, but their name resembles something Rice Krispies do in milk) attack blog posts you make and attempt to make them personal toward you and your beliefs.

That's why I've been lax on my personal blog since my personal opinions are rather strong and tend to make people rather upset. I don't need innocent bystanders brought into my arguments.

Keep on doing what you are doing - you're doing great so far!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger