Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Rudy Giuliani Opposed Banning Partial Birth Abortion

Had Rudy Giuliani been President, the ban on partial-birth abortion that the Supreme Court upheld today would never have been signed into law. Source:
Rudy Giuliani opposed banning Partial Birth Abortion.
Rudy Giuliani would not have signed this ban in the first place.
He can't be trusted and should not be supported.


[GEORGE] WILL: Is your support of partial birth abortion firm?

Mayor GIULIANI: All of my positions are firm. I have strong viewpoints. I express them. And I--I do not think that it makes sense to be changing your position....

- ABC News February 6, 2000

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

TUCHMAN: Giuliani was then asked whether he supports a ban on what critics call partial-birth abortions, something Bush strongly supports.

GIULIANI: No, I have not supported that, and I don't see my position on that changing.

- CNN December 2, 1999

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

BLITZER: If you were in the Senate and [President Clinton] vetoed, once again, the [ban on the] so-called partial-birth abortion procedure, you would vote against sustaining that against the -- in favor of the veto in other words, you would support the president on that.

GIULIANI: Yes. I said then that I support him, so I have no reason to change my mind about it.

BLITZER: All right. So the bottom line is that on a lot of these very sensitive issues whether on guns, abortion, patients' bill of rights, taxes, you are more in line with the president and by association, with Mrs. Clinton, than you are against them.

- CNN February 6, 2000

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

MR. RUSSERT: A banning of late-term abortions, so-called partial-birth abortions--you're against that?

MAYOR GIULIANI: I'm against it in New York, because in New York...

MR. RUSSERT: Well, if you were a senator, would you vote with the president or against the president? [Note: President Clinton was in office in 2000]

MAYOR GIULIANI: I would vote to preserve the option for women. I think that choice is a very difficult one. It's a very, very--it's one in which people of conscious have very, very different opinions. I think the better thing for America to do is to leave that choice to the woman, because it affects her probably more than anyone else....

MR. RUSSERT: So you won't change your view on late-term abortion in order to get the Conservative Party endorsement?

MAYOR GIULIANI: It isn't just that. We shouldn't limit this to one issue. I'm generally not going to change my views.

- NBC Meet the Press, February 6, 2000

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

***Note: the version of the Partial Birth Abortion Ban that Giuliani opposed in 2000, that he said he supported Bill Clinton in vetoing the Republican-controlled Congress's legislation, contained the exception for the life of the mother that Rudy is now trying to pretend is a prerequisite for his support of it.
(emphasis in original)


UPDATE
Statement by candidate Giuliani on today's Supreme Court decision. So, was he lying then, or is he lying now? Either way, he's a liar.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 4/18/2007 12:42 PM, Blogger Matt Hurley said...

http://massdiscussion.blogspot.com/2007/04/statement-from-mayor-rudy-giuliani-on.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger