Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Church Deserves Thanks, Not Grief

From the Wisconsin State Journal:
St. Bernard's Catholic Church in Middleton didn't go out of its way to become a polling place for last week's election.

Middleton officials asked the church for help in providing adequate space for voting booths, a registration table, ballot box and plenty of parking.

St. Bernard's deserves thanks -- not grief -- for its willingness to pitch in for the public and democracy on Election Day.

Instead, at least one voter is loudly complaining that he had to vote in the St. Bernard's parish center. He says he was disturbed to see a small crucifix hanging on a wall near the ballot box.

The voter needs to lighten up.


[More]
My Comments:
I have a solution for the offended lefty: Don't vote, or vote absentee.

Last week, I dropped my son off at his pre-K class at Norwalk Catholic School's St. Mary Campus, and then walked into the school's lunchroom/gymnasium (where Catholic school kids were menacingly eating their lunch) and cast my ballot.

3 Comments:

At 11/14/2006 4:28 PM, Blogger catholicandgop said...

He should have voted where I did last week. There wasn't a small crucifix, there was a good sized one.

 
At 11/15/2006 1:11 PM, Blogger Fidei Defensor said...

the real big story here is that a liberal Madison Paper actually supported the Church. I would have fully expected them to take the lead in saying that either Catholic Churches can't be polling places, or that Churches should remove all religious symbols. Maybe the WI media is feeling kind of bad for trying to shut the Bishops up in regards to the gay-marriage election, though I wouldn't count on it.

 
At 11/15/2006 3:23 PM, Blogger Kasia said...

Funny, the Greek Orthodox church I voted in had icons of Our Lady of Perpetual Help and a few others I couldn't identify at a glance. I'm not Orthodox, but they didn't bother me. My parish has a crucifix in every room I've been in. Hel-LO, it's a Catholic Church!

Likewise, my former polling place was a Unitarian-Universalist church (the one I grew up in, actually). To get to the polls, I had to walk right past their extensive display of brochures explaining their faith. (In fairness, the display is always there. It's not like they were overtly capitalizing on the fact that voters were going to be there.)

I've known for three months where my polling place is. If it were a MOSQUE I wouldn't object; I am a guest in someone else's place of worship, so I don't expect them to sanitize it for me. If it bugged him that much, he should've applied to vote absentee.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger