Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Meeting the Bishop - After Action Report

We're back. Surprisingly there was no "receiving line" or anything. It was all pretty informal, especially considering that a Bishop of the Church was the guest of honor.

Immediately following the prayer service in the church (Mass is later at the other parish), the Bishop and all the Early Childhood students went to the front of the school for a group photo. After the photos, people sort of scattered to go inside for refreshments.

Sarah and I remained outside speaking to some of the other parents. Bishop Blair approached on the sidewalk and offered his hand. I responded "Your Excellency", genuflected, and kissed his ring. Bishop Blair responded "Thank you". He saw Mary Virginia in her carrier on the ground next to me and asked "Who is this?" I responded "Mary Virginia". Bishop Blair said "God bless you, Mary Virginia", reached down, and made the Sign of the Cross on her forehead. He asked about the other children and all their ages, and I filled him in on the details. He told Aidan that he had a nice smile.

I then introduced Bishop Blair to Sarah (who had been talking to another parent), and she says "Now what is it I'm supposed to do? I'm still unsure about the protocol." Honest question from a recent convert, if a little inopportune at that particular moment.

I responded, "You genuflect and kiss his ring". Sarah did so. Bishop Blair was very patient and gracious during the exchange. Of course, during this whole thing I was so nervous that I forgot to introduce myself. Bishop Blair asked me my name, and I told him, as well as giving him our reasons for moving to his diocese. A very nice man. And a solid, orthodox Bishop to boot.

I was not a witness to every exchange, but I didn't see anyone else kiss the Bishop's ring. Which isn't to say that Sarah and I are particularly holy or better Catholics than everyone else. We're most certainly not. The point I'm making is that it's just a little shocking to me that people no longer engage in this act of reverence to the Office of Bishop.


Previous Pro Ecclesia posts on this subject:
Meeting the Bishop

4 Comments:

At 9/27/2006 11:43 AM, Blogger Tom McKenna said...

Bravo, Jay, y'all did the right thing. Sometimes it takes more courage to show proper respect and reverence to the office of a successor of the Apostles than to just go with the flow and treat him like no one special. You may have done more teaching with those gestures than with a hundred blog postings!

 
At 9/27/2006 7:19 PM, Blogger Husband said...

It does take courage to kiss the ring. It is a very "anti-American" thing to do in the general sense. I have done both, and I always feel that the bishop does not like the kissing of the ring (as if it was HIS ring that I was giving reverence to) - a firm handshake ismore his style.

 
At 9/28/2006 5:27 AM, Blogger Kevin Whiteman said...

I know how you feel, Jay! Strange the way we get weird looks and snickers from other 'Catholics' if we should ever have the bad manners to conduct ourselves as... well... Catholics!

 
At 9/28/2006 9:41 AM, Blogger Fidei Defensor said...

you did good Jay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger