Friday, September 08, 2006

I Just Called to Say I Love You

Amid the recent spate of 9/11 conspiracy theories; amid all the Bush-hatred; amid all the CYA-ing by the Clintonites; Peggy Noonan reminds us of what's important:
... Flight 93 flight attendant Ceecee Lyles, 33 years old, in an answering-machine message to her husband: "Please tell my children that I love them very much. I'm sorry, baby. I wish I could see your face again."

Thirty-one-year-old Melissa Harrington, a California-based trade consultant at a meeting in the towers, called her father to say she loved him. Minutes later she left a message on the answering machine as her new husband slept in their San Francisco home. "Sean, it's me, she said. "I just wanted to let you know I love you."

Capt. Walter Hynes of the New York Fire Department's Ladder 13 dialed home that morning as his rig left the firehouse at 85th Street and Lexington Avenue. He was on his way downtown, he said in his message, and things were bad. "I don't know if we'll make it out. I want to tell you that I love you and I love the kids."

***
Peter Hanson, a passenger on United Airlines Flight 175 called his father. "I think they intend to go to Chicago or someplace and fly into a building," he said. "Don't worry, Dad--if it happens, it will be very fast." On the same flight, Brian Sweeney called his wife, got the answering machine, and told her they'd been hijacked. "Hopefully I'll talk to you again, but if not, have a good life. I know I'll see you again some day."

There was Tom Burnett's famous call from United Flight 93. "We're all going to die, but three of us are going to do something," he told his wife, Deena. "I love you, honey."

These were people saying, essentially, In spite of my imminent death, my thoughts are on you, and on love. I asked a psychiatrist the other day for his thoughts, and he said the people on the planes and in the towers were "accepting the inevitable" and taking care of "unfinished business." "At death's door people pass on a responsibility--'Tell Billy I never stopped loving him and forgave him long ago.' 'Take care of Mom.' 'Pray for me, Father. Pray for me, I haven't been very good.' " They address what needs doing.

This reminded me of that moment when Todd Beamer of United 93 wound up praying on the phone with a woman he'd never met before, a Verizon Airfone supervisor named Lisa Jefferson. She said later that his tone was calm. It seemed as if they were "old friends," she later wrote. They said the Lord's Prayer together. Then he said "Let's roll."

This is what I get from the last messages. People are often stronger than they know, bigger, more gallant than they'd guess. And this: We're all lucky to be here today and able to say what deserves saying, and if you say it a lot, it won't make it common and so unheard, but known and absorbed...


[Excerpted]

2 Comments:

At 9/08/2006 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like the blog, it make tingles in my skin...whats interesting is that most people conveyed there love for the person on the other line, which might give you the understanding that either the person on the receiving end is insecure in the relationship or the sender has the feeling that there expression of love for the receiver was lacking before they left, i think in the last moments i would tell my kids "to respect the remaining parent", because i would like to think my children know i love them, and to my spouse i would say "respect and love and be good example and stay strong for the kids", the human at an adult age has developed and with children in the picture there no time to be weak they need to teach the children, and if they had no children i would say "be joyful and fulfill all your dreams and be a good person, and marry someone new", why waste your last words on something that would provoke such emotions that bring no meaning, sure if the person was not dying and calling to say i love you sweetest thing, everyone likes to be thought of, but saying i love you and the receiver coming to the realization that they will no longer see the person again puts emotions through there body that is not fair, the last words are i love you bring now benefit, something more thoughtful and practical do however, and i think it would be the more loving thing to do, it would help them move on faster and continue to develop.

 
At 9/08/2006 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A beautiful article, thank you for sharing it. I watched the A&E version of "Flight 93" just last night. I had tears in my eyes through the reenactment of those calls, especially the call between Todd Beamer and Lisa Jefferson. He entrusted her with his last wishes and had her pray with him which provided him and the others listening on the plane with the strength necessary to fight back.

The messages gave proof to those left behind that love and family were the last thoughts of their loved ones and not panic at their situation.

Again, thank you for sharing this post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger