Monday, August 07, 2006

Book Meme

Publius has tagged me with the most recent incarnation of the book meme:
1. One book that changed your life:

The Bible is too easy a choice. So, I'm going to offer a surprise choice, and this is going to seem weird because the author of this book is anything BUT an orthodox Catholic: How the Irish Saved Civilization by Thomas Cahill. The book was meant to attack "Romanized" Catholicism by singing the praises of early "Celtic" Catholicism. Cahill, however, failed in his efforts, at least with me, becuase the book had the opposite effect. As a Southern Baptist who read the book because I was proud of my Irish heritage, I was suddenly opened up to the possibility that Christianity had a history that didn't end 2000 years ago and then suddenly pick back up 1500 years later at the Reformation. This was the book, heterodox as it may be, that got me interested in reading more about the history of the early Church. From there, other books also changed my life: Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton, Crossing the Tiber by Steve Ray, and others. But it was Thomas Cahill's backfiring attempt to persuade me that Rome had it all wrong that got me looking in Rome's direction in the first place.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:

The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien.

3. One book you’d want on a desert island:

The Summa Theologica. If I'm going to be there for a while, I may as well think big.

4. One book that made you laugh:

The Canterbury Tales, specifically, "The Miller's Tale" - you KNOW the part I'm talking about.

5. One book that made you cry:

Anything by Charles Dickens, but specifically, A Christmas Carol, Dombey & Son and A Tale of Two Cities.

6. One book that you wish had been written:

The one that I once thought would make me rich and famous.

7. One book that you wish had never been written:

The Koran

8. One book you’re currently reading:

The '45 by Christopher Duffy.

9. One book you’ve been meaning to read:

The Imitation of Christ by Thomas a Kempis.
I tag Advocatus Militaris, Carolina Cannonball, Regular Guy Paul, and St. JimBob.

6 Comments:

At 8/07/2006 5:37 PM, Blogger Christine the Soccer Mom said...

Yes, yes. That is an even better choice than Mein Kampf and The Communist Manefesto as a book we wish hadn't been written.

Even Muslims who seem "moderate" on the outside often harbor biases against America and Israel. :(

 
At 8/07/2006 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm curious, Jay, which part of A Christmas Carol made you cry? I'm not aiming to make fun of you, I just wanted to know. I love that book, too.

 
At 8/07/2006 7:39 PM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

Two parts:
(1) When Scrooge goes to see his nephew Fred and Fred's wife on Christmas Day.
(2) The end of the book where it talks about Scrooge being as a father to Tiny Tim.

But really, every Dickens novel I've ever read has brought tears to my eyes at some point. That guy knew how to tug at one's heartstrings.

 
At 8/08/2006 11:22 AM, Blogger Sir Galen of Bristol said...

I knew you'd get me. I'll have mine soon.

 
At 8/08/2006 1:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted mine at Fumare, Jay!

 
At 8/09/2006 1:23 PM, Blogger The Crescat said...

damn you. You know I don't read.

Actually, I saw this one around and thought "too hard, too hard"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger