Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Archbishop Chaput Hears Load of Gripes from Anglo Parishioners Frustrated About Immigration's Impact

From the Rocky Mountain News:
Denver Archbishop Charles Chaput got an earful Monday from a packed audience of mostly Anglo, middle-class parishioners frustrated over the impact of illegal immigrants on society and their perceived reluctance to learn English.

"Wherever I go, I see English and Spanish (signs) - why not Polish?" asked a woman who said she emigrated from Poland decades ago. As she spoke, a standing-room-only crowd of more than 400 people at St. Thomas More Parish in Centennial erupted in applause and cheers.

"I've always said it was good for people to learn English," Chaput said.

It was the archbishop's second town hall meeting on immigration reform, but in a far different cultural setting than last Monday's meeting at Our Lady of Peace Parish in Greeley, where the pastor estimates 60 percent of his parishioners are immigrants. That town hall meeting was conducted in both Spanish and English.

***
Asked about the effect of continued illegal immigration in 10 or 15 years, Chaput said he believed it was a manageable problem that had largely been inflamed "by fear and 9/11."

"I think we can manage it. My ancestors - I'm an American Indian - we can handle this; we're a big country," said Chaput, whose ancestry is French Canadian and Potowanamie Indian.

A questioner who asked what Mexican bishops were doing to improve conditions in Mexico got applause from the audience and a sharp response from Chaput.

"Bishops are encouraging the government not to be corrupt and to create jobs," Chaput said. "They're not encouraging people to leave and come here, and it's not sensible for you to think that they are."
My Comments:
"I think we can manage it. My ancestors - I'm an American Indian - we can handle this; we're a big country," said Chaput, whose ancestry is French Canadian and Potowanamie Indian.

Too bad Archbishop Chaput didn't respond: "My ancestors - I'm an American Indian - knew a little something about being overwhelmed by immigration. So, don't cry to me about how you're being 'overwhelmed by immigration'."

4 Comments:

At 7/25/2006 10:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad Archbishop Chaput didn't respond: "My ancestors - I'm an American Indian - knew a little something about being overwhelmed by immigration. So, don't cry to me about how you're being 'overwhelmed by immigration'."

Of course the Hispanic immigrants don't have phasers and genetically engineered super-bugs, which they'd have to have to make the situations parallel.

 
At 7/25/2006 10:21 AM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

That's my point. The American Indians truly were "overwhelmed by immigration".

The folks crying about immigration right now have absolutely no beef by comparison.

 
At 7/25/2006 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, got it now.

 
At 7/25/2006 6:47 PM, Blogger Dymphna said...

The Indians got destroyed by immigration. They are just a remnant of what they were. I sure hope that's not was Archbishop Chaput meant.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger