Monday, June 26, 2006

Topic of the Day: Divorce, Annulment, & Remarriage in the Catholic Church

(Bumped to the top. Please scroll down to read all of today's posts.)

What is giving rise to today's theme, you may ask? It seems that there is some consternation over the Carolina Cannonball's "singles ad" (see here and here) in which she mentions her divorce. [NOTE: Carolina Cannonball has stated in the comments at her blog, as well as to me personally, that she is free to remarry within the Church. So, Catholic guys, go for it!]

If you read this blog regularly, you may be aware that I, too, am divorced (not of my choosing) and that I have remarried. Both my divorce and remarriage took place prior to my entering the Church, and I had to get a declaration of nullity from a Catholic tribunal before Sarah and I could be received into the Church. I mention this just by way of full disclosure.

Anyway, I plan a number of posts today on the topic of divorce, annulment, and remarriage in the Catholic Church. This post will stay bumped to the top, so please scroll down to read all of today's posts. Your comments are appreciated and strongly encouraged.

St. Helena - Patron Saint of Divorced People

3 Comments:

At 6/26/2006 9:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Catholic Church takes a strong stance against divorce, but then works around it by saying that a previous marriage never existed."

There are only very specific cases in which a marriage can be annulled. Unfortunately, there has been abuse of the annulment process (especially in the U.S.), as discussed on other blogs (such as EWTN's forum, Cafeteria Is Closed).

I think its sad that so many marriages (the vast majority) in North America end in divorce. People are too quick to throw in the towel.

 
At 7/06/2006 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am in the process of formally defecting from the Catholic Church due to the liberal practices, even ok with Rome, regarding adultery, remarriage and annulments.

You guys have no idea of the corruption in the Catholic Church.

I fought to defend our marriage and won in Rome after eleven years but it means nothing when my wife and her lover are accepted by the Catholic Church anyway and I must remain alone to be faithful to a marriage even the Catholic Church will not defend.

I am heartbroken but I cannot stay with another adulteress, this one in Rome.

Hey you in Ohio, check out what Bai Macfarlane is going through and speak with her to find the truth. God bless her.

 
At 7/21/2006 7:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too am a Catholic that has been through the annulment process. The validity my sacramental marriage was upheld after review by various competent authorities within the Catholic Church.

The Catholic annulment process is legitimate when it is processed and considered correctly. But there are humans involved in the process. They often make mistakes.

It is wrong to attack the Church as a whole based on mistakes made by some individuals. She is a divine institution charged by God to impart the fullness of the Truth to all who will hear it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger