Friday, June 23, 2006

On the Feast of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus - a Parish Dedicated to the Sacred Heart Located in the Old South

St. Mary's Catholic Church
The Mother Church of Catholicism in the Upstate South Carolina

St. Mary's Catholic Church, a parish of the Diocese of Charleston, was founded in 1852 and is dedicated to Our Lady of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.

If I'm ever back in Greenville, South Carolina (my ex is from that area, so I used to go down there all the time), I'd love to visit St. Mary's. I first read about this parish in George Weigel's book Letters to a Young Catholic. The pastor of St. Mary's is the Reverend Jay Scott Newman, an evangelical convert to Catholicism.

Two years ago (just after my entering the Church on Corpus Christi Sunday), I encouraged my wife's Godmother - who was making a trip down to Atlanta to visit her son - to stop in Greenville on the way and visit St. Mary's (which I had just read about in Weigel's book). She did so, and it just so happened to be on the Feast Day of the Most Sacred Heart of Jesus - the parish's patronal feast day. She reported that the Mass she attended and the church itself were absolutely beautiful.

Here are a few pictures from the St. Mary's website:

Main Entrance

Church at Sunset

Altar at Easter

Tabernacle

Baptismal Font & Aisle

Statute of Mary

The Lady Chapel

Statue of the Sacred Heart of Jesus

3 Comments:

At 6/23/2006 2:37 PM, Blogger Terry said...

I've only seen pictures of the inside.

What a beautiful church. Being in the land of everything-is-unimaginatively modern and stucco makes me envious.

And I believe Fr. Freeman posted on another blog it's only two miles down the road from Bob Jones University.

 
At 6/24/2006 12:24 PM, Blogger PB said...

We almost got married in that church! My wife is from Greenville, SC and we have been there numerous times. I had no idea it was so well known.

 
At 6/25/2006 8:34 PM, Blogger Sharon said...

I am happy to see St.Mary's is being recognized as it deserves to be! :) I went to school there, was confirmed there, my sister was married there, niece baptized there...lots of weonderful memories there. Thanks for this post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger