Wednesday, June 14, 2006

More on "U2-charist" from "The Living Church"

The other day, I blogged about a "U2-charist" service that took place in Florida. Apparently, these services are taking place among Epicopalians all over the country, including at their General Convention this week in Columbus, Ohio. Here's more on this particular form of "worship" from the Episcopal-based "Living Church Foundation":

U2charist Spreads the 'Gospel of Bono'
06/14/2006

When a rejuvenated U2 was touring America in support of its album All That You Can’t Leave Behind, lead singer Bono began saying that a U2 concert was like a church service. He spoke freely of God’s “walking through the room” whenever the band played its hit, “Where the Streets Have No Name.”

Several hundred Episcopalians brought Bono’s vision one step closer to reality on the opening night of General Convention, gathering for a June 13 Eucharist that emphasized U2’s music and the themes of justice that the music shares with the Christian gospel.

The free event cut across the lines of theological division within the Episcopal Church. Bishop Chilton Knudsen of Maine celebrated and Bishop Michael Curry of North Carolina preached. The Ven. Gary Cartwright of the Diocese of Southwest Florida and deputy Brad Drell of Western Louisiana read from the lectionary. And lovers of U2’s music set aside their differences for the night to sing along to “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For,” “One,” “40” and “Pride (in the Name of Love).

The one awkward liturgical moment was when the Collect for Purity was followed by “Elevation,” with its playful lyrics suggesting sexual ecstasy.

***
“Brother Bono has shown us the way,” Bishop Curry said. “God will always have a witness. If the church doesn’t give it, U2 will.”
My Comments:
I notice that conspicuously missing from the congregation's U2 hit parade is, arguably, U2's most religious song - "Gloria":

Gloria...
I try to sing this song
I, I try to stand up
But I can't find my feet
I try, I try to speak up
But only in you I'm complete
Gloria...in te domine
Gloria...exultate
Gloria...Gloria
Oh Lord, loosen my lips

I try to sing this song
I, I try to get in
But I can't find the door
The door is open
You're standing there
You let me in

Gloria...in te domine
Gloria...exultate
Oh Lord, if I had anything
Anything at all
I'd give it to you
I'd give it to you
I guess all that Latin would have been too evocative of "old Church" Catholicism for all these "living church" fruitcakes.* Plus, the lyrics are too focused on the "vertical" - praising and worshipping God - as opposed to the horizontal clap-happy lovefest that passes for "worship" among these heterodox lefties.

Oh, it appears there was plenty of "worship" going on at the "U2-charist" - worship of Bono, that is. Not that I don't like Bono - in fact I'm a huge fan. But when a Bishop says "Bono has shown us the way", there's some serious idolatry going on.


* NOTE: John J. Miller at National Review Online ranks "Gloria" # 6 among the "50 greatest conservative rock songs" :
Just because a rock song is about faith doesn’t mean that it’s conservative. But what about a rock song that’s about faith and whose chorus is in Latin? That’s beautifully reactionary: “Gloria / In te domine / Gloria / Exultate.”

1 Comments:

At 6/15/2006 9:39 PM, Blogger Darren said...

Great post. I was unaware of the "U2-cahrist". Nice insight on the whole thing.

I, too am a huge fan of U2.

Keep up the great work.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger