Saturday, May 27, 2006

Regular Guy Paul on "The Causes Of AIDS"

I was planning on posting something on this subject, but just couldn't quite put into words what it was I wanted to say. Paul at Thoughts of a Regular Guy does it for me:
When I was a kid, we never heard of AIDS.

AIDS began to hit the news about the time I graduated high school and joined the Air Force, in 1980. That's 26 years ago, now. There's a whole generation who have grown up always knowing the mortal danger of promiscuous sex, and especially homosexual promiscuity.

***
I'm sorry for Sir Elton's losses, but if he has his own charity for raisng AIDS awareness, he must be aware that it isn't Catholicism that spreads AIDS.

Freddy Mercury, and his group Queen dominated the music of my youth. I regard him as one of the most talented rock musicians of my life, the owner of one of the finest singing voices I ever heard. When he died of AIDS in 1991, I mourned the loss of his talent.

I really, really, have a hard time with the idea that Freddy Mercury was killed because of his excessive devotion to the teachings of John Paul II, or his fidelity to Humanae Vitae. Freddy Mercury was a rock star, and he lived the life of a rock star. It killed him, much more quickly and effectively than religious devotion would have ever done.
Please go read the whole thing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger