Thursday, March 30, 2006

Catholic Democrat Spreads Brotherly Love

From Cybercast News Service:
(CNSNews.com) - Rep. Cynthia McKinney, a liberal Democrat from Georgia, says she "deeply regrets" her "unfortunate confrontation" with a Capitol Hill police officer on Wednesday.

McKinney reportedly struck the officer in the chest when he stopped her for bypassing a metal detector, something that members of Congress are allowed to do.
[ED.: Members of Congress are allowed to punch police officers?]

The officer apparently did not recognize McKinney, who struck him when he put his hand on her arm to get her attention.

Capitol Police say they are investigating the incident, which happened around 2:30 p.m. in the Longworth House Office Building - and was captured on tape, according to the Drudge Report.

In a statement posted on her website, McKinney said, "I was urgently trying to get to an important meeting on time to fulfill my obligations to my constituents. Unfortunately, the Police Officer did not recognize me as a Member of Congress and a confrontation ensued. I did not have on my Congressional pin but showed the Police Officer my Congressional ID.

"I know that Capitol Hill Police are securing our safety, that of thousands of others, and I appreciate the work that they do. I deeply regret that the incident occurred. I have demonstrated my support for them in the past and I continue to support them now."

A spokesman for House Speaker Dennis Hastert - quoted by Fox News - said, "On a day when the Democrats are promoting their national security agenda, it's probably not a good idea for them to allegedly strike police officers."


[More]
My Comments:
Another kum-by-ya moment for a Catholic Democrat. Apparently, Ms. McKinney's "primacy of conscience" overrode the Capitol Hill Police officer's duty to protect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger