Wednesday, February 08, 2006

What I'm REALLY Looking Forward To During the Turin (Torino) Olympics ...

... is all the background/local color stories on how Torino's most famous relic, the Shroud of Turin, is a fake - an elaborate hoax perptrated by ... you got it ... the Catholic Church. And with some people claiming that Leonardo DaVinci created the Shroud, think of all the "DaVinci Code" tie-ins the media can report on!

Look, I take no position on whether the Shroud is the actual burial cloth of Jesus Christ. I'd like to think that it is, but my faith isn't affected one way or the other. But even Shroud skeptics have to take issue with the faulty carbon 14 dating in 1988 that was utilized to declare the Shroud a 13th century fake.

Unfortunately, the recent findings of invalidity in the carbon 14 dating will probably be completely ignored by the media, or at least downplayed as the ravings of the superstitious, and the press will continue to report on the "proven fraud" in an effort to further discredit the Church.

Wait and see if I'm right. If I'm wrong, I promise to come back here and give credit where credit is due.

Meanwhile, Michael Meckler has an interesting post up at Red-State.com discussing the use of "Turin" vs. "Torino" by the MSM in covering these Winter Olympics.

3 Comments:

At 2/08/2006 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carbon dating is unreliable. I hope we all know that.
As far as you not having an opinion on whether the Shroud is real or not, why don't you get the video(s) about it? They explain away any of the old and current hoax theories or any other "scientific explanations" (other than the truth which they do prove scientifically).

 
At 2/08/2006 9:15 PM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

I've seen almost every documentary that there is on the Shroud - it's a subject that I'm very interested in. Based on what I've seen and read, I'm inclined to believe that it is really the burial shroud of Christ.

But I'm just not prepared to say 100% beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Shroud is what it purports to be. I'm probably more like 65% sure of its authenticity.

 
At 2/08/2006 11:38 PM, Blogger Fidei Defensor said...

My thoughts exactly Jay, as soon as I heard where the Olympics was, I knew we were going to hear all about the Shroud.

I give the Catholic Church a lot of credit resisting the calls to put the shroud out for public display (done only every 10 years I think) just because the Olympics are in town. Long after these Olympics are a distant memory the shroud will still inspire the faithful.

I'm in the same boat as you, I want to think its the real deal, most of what I'd read convinces me it is, but I can't say I'm 100% sure. I do think though that going there myself someday and seeing it would answer a lot of those questions.

I have heard some weird theories about it, in addition to the DaVinci one, some claim it is the body of a Crusader, crucified by Muslims in a sacreligious pardody of the Passion.

That still doesn't explain the image, the middle eastern blood type, the types of polen found in the shroud, and the fact that the blood type and wounds match another cloth said to be from the Passion now kept in once Catholic Spain.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger