Thursday, October 27, 2005

Spare Me ...

... the righteous indignation by some bloggers and commentators toward those who opposed the Miers nomination. On the one hand some recriminations are deserved. I have already acknowledged here that some went beyond the pale in their criticisms by attacking the nominee personally.

But the righteous indignant aren't satisfied with mere condemnations of that sort. No, they are convinced that, by virtue of opposing this nomination and asking that it be withdrawn before it went to the Senate (where we would have learned nothing and Harry Reid's choice would quite certainly have been rubberstamped), those who opposed Miers adopted the tactics of the Democrats and permanently damaged the nomination and confirmation process for eternity.

Please. Enough has come out at this point that it is clear that Harriet Miers was not a pick in the mold of a Scalia or Thomas, which the President had promised. If anyone is to blame for damaging the process it is none other than George W. Bush, who short-circuited the White House vetting procedure and put favoritism above merit in making the most important domestic decision of his presidency.

UPDATE (28 Oct 2005):
Yeah, what Steve Dillard said.

1 Comments:

At 10/27/2005 7:09 PM, Blogger Sir Galen of Bristol said...

Voicing my opinion on nominations is one of the things I have a blog for.

I wrote to both my Senators and asked them to vote for Judge Roberts, but they didn't.

I was preparing to write them again to ask them to vote against Miers.

But it's the blog where I have a voice, where I can make arguments, and present my viewpoint.

I call this "freedom of speech", and I don't accept the notion that exercising this right has damaged any part of our system. President Washington had nominees that weren't confirmed or even voted on, but somehow we survived.

We'll survive this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger