Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Sen. Mike DeWine Launches Tirade Against Conservatives Opposing Miers Nomination

I concluded an earlier post on the Miers nomination by quoting another blogger's exhortation to "call your senators to pressure them to oppose this nomination... Senators will listen if they're deluged with calls".

Well, apparently, some of our illustrious Senators have determined to turn a deaf ear to the cries of those of us who oppose Miers. Turns out at least 2 members of the infamous "Gang of 7", who also happen to sit on the Senate Judiciary Committee, have decided to take a dismissive stance with respect to our "special interest" concerns:
Senator Lindsey Graham, of South Carolina, said that if Ms. Miers withdrew now she would only hurt Republican senators who are uneasy about her nomination. It would suggest that special interest groups control the nomination process, he said. Mr. Graham said the nominee can't withdraw for this reason alone and that the hearings will go forward as planned.

"If she withdraws, that means that we, the party and the president, have given in to special interest politics who want to shake up the process," Mr. Graham said in an interview. "So I am dead set against her withdrawing, especially now. I don't want special interest groups on the right or the left to hijack the nomination process."

***
"This is absurd," said Sen. Mike DeWine, the Ohio Republican who sits on the Judiciary Committee. "We need to move on to hearings."

"Enough is enough," Mr. DeWine said. "If I pick up one more paper and read about one more group that I've never heard of saying they're for Miers or against Miers -- it just doesn't matter at this point."


Manuel Miranda, who has helped organize much of the opposition to Miss Miers, said this battle will not be forgotten by the Republican base.

"Mike DeWine is going to lose in Ohio, and he should be more aware of grass-roots sentiment," Mr. Miranda said. "Mike DeWine doesn't have a great deal of conservative support in Ohio and ham-fisted remarks aren't going to help with that."


(emphasis added)
My Comments:
I'm moving to Ohio in a little less than 2 months. I decided shortly after the "Gang of 7" sellout that, not only would I NOT VOTE for Mike DeWine in next year's election, but I would actively work for his defeat. That doesn't mean I will support whoever the Democrats nominate - I don't vote for members of the Death Party - but I will do all I can to talk down DeWine to others with whom I come into contact.

DeWine's tirade against conservatives opposing Miers only reinforces my decision.

1 Comments:

At 10/26/2005 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe you should organize support for a third party candidate; that way you can syphon votes off from DeWine without actually voting for a pro-abort.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger