Thursday, October 27, 2005

Miers Withdraws Nomination to Supreme Court

From Fox News:
WASHINGTON — Harriet Miers withdrew her nomination to be a Supreme Court justice Thursday in the face of stiff opposition and mounting criticism about her qualifications.

Bush said he reluctantly accepted her decision to withdraw, after weeks of insisting that he did not want her to step down. He blamed her withdrawal on calls in the Senate for the release of internal White House documents that the administration has insisted were protected by executive privilege.

"It is clear that senators would not be satisfied until they gained access to internal documents concerning advice provided during her tenure at the White House -- disclosures that would undermine a president's ability to receive candid counsel," Bush said. "Harriet Miers' decision demonstrates her deep respect for this essential aspect of the constitutional separation of powers -- and confirms my deep respect and admiration for her."
My Comments:
Looks like they went with the Krauthammer face-saving option of withdrawing the nomination to protect executive privilege and the separation of powers.

I think it's pretty clear, however, that the Washington Post story from yesterday is most likely the real impetus behind this withdrawal. And you can bet that the left and their media allies will play this up as the "hard-core radical religious far right" driving this "good woman" away from this nomination.

I'll post more on this momentous event (or, to quote the Swimmer, "this auspicious day") later today.

2 Comments:

At 10/27/2005 10:35 AM, Blogger Sir Galen of Bristol said...

Wow, Jay, you must really be happy about this to post it twice!

Hey, Scarlette, that is the $64,000 question, isn't it. I'm still looking for Bush to keep his promise of giving us another Justice like Scalia or Thomas.

 
At 10/27/2005 12:18 PM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

Thanks for the heads up, Paul. I was having a problem with Blogger this morning, probably as a result of the rush of so many to blog regarding this news.

I've now deleted the duplicate post.

As for my happiness, I'm glad a poor choice was withdrawn. I'm sad, however, that Bush put his conservative base, his party, and Ms. Miers through this in the first place. He could have very easily chosen one of the people I've listed in another post today.

Because of his tin ear on this nomination, even if he hits a home-run with the next pick, I doubt I will ever fully trust him again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger