Thursday, September 08, 2005

This Is Satire, Right?

Richard Cohen writes on the Roberts nomination in today's Washington Post:

Too Perfect to Know the People?

By Richard Cohen

Thursday, September 8, 2005; Page A29

I sometimes think the best thing that ever happened to me was, at the time, the worst: I flunked out of college. I did so for the usual reasons -- painfully bored with school and distracted by life itself -- and so I went to work for an insurance company while I plowed ahead at night school. From there I went into the Army, emerging with a storehouse of anecdotes. In retrospect, I learned more by failing than I ever would have by succeeding. I wish that John Roberts had a touch of my incompetence.

Instead, the nominee for chief justice of the United States punched every career ticket right on schedule. He was raised in affluence, educated in private schools, dispatched to Harvard and then to Harvard Law School. He clerked for a U.S. appellate judge (the storied Henry J. Friendly) and later for William H. Rehnquist, then an associate justice. Roberts worked in the Justice Department and then in the White House until moving on to Hogan & Hartson, one of Washington's most prestigious law firms; then he was principal deputy solicitor general, before moving to the bench, where he has served for only two years. His record is appallingly free of failure.


[More idiocy follows]
Hat tip: Captain's Quarters

See also, John Podhoretz at the Corner on NRO

My Comments:
Apparently, John Roberts didn't smoke enough crack to be qualified to sit on the Supreme Court.

3 Comments:

At 9/08/2005 4:42 PM, Blogger Rick Lugari said...

Apparently, John Roberts didn't smoke enough crack to be qualified to sit on the Supreme Court.

Oh silly me, I thought that was only required for the President and the mayors of large cities.

This article brings to mind some thought I had about Roberts. I was thinking (new experiences, ya know), seeing as the biggest thing going for him is the absence of his opinions (whether they be professional work product, or from the private realm), I am struck by two things.

One, if when a clerk for Rehnquist he was mentored by his boss that if he wants to go anywhere, don’t say a thing. That would certainly be prudent advice, and I think it is quite plausible.

The other thing that I consider is whether he was given that advice or is wise enough to figure it out on his own, the man has incredible amount of discipline. I am thinking that he may have an incredible amount of virtue and that *maybe* he is the best possible thing to ever happen to the SC. Time will tell, but you have to admit that for someone in as deep as he is and as connected as he is, to not have any baggage out there is remarkable…nay…nearly impossible without possessing an inordinate amount of virtue.

Oh well…just some thoughts from the short bus, that’s all.

 
At 9/08/2005 4:46 PM, Blogger Rick Lugari said...

wow...pardon my illiteracy.

Something like that I should have composed in WORD and proofread it. Doh!

 
At 9/08/2005 5:43 PM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

I understood it perfectly, Rick. You may be on to something with your "virtue" comments.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger