Monday, May 23, 2005

Senator George Allen Predicts Showdown Will End In "Nuclear Option"

From The Washington Times:
Sen. George Allen, Virginia Republican, said yesterday that he doesn't think a compromise can be reached with Senate Democrats and predicted his party has the 51 votes needed to employ the so-called "nuclear option" that will prevent the filibustering of judicial nominees.

"I just think that it is not that big of a deal for senators to exercise their constitutional responsibility," Mr. Allen said on ABC's "This Week." "I think that we'll get the constitutional option done, and we'll vote on judges."
My Comments:
I hope Senator Allen is correct. This unprecedented and, in my opinion, unconstitutional filibuster of a President's slate of appellate court nominees has gone on long enough. Four years after being nominated, these nominees - who have had majority support in the Senate the entire time (even when the Democrats were briefly in the majority) - deserve an up-or-down vote.

By the way, Senator Allen is currently my choice for President in 2008. [ED. UPDATE: Well, we see how that worked out!] I have worked on several of Senator Allen's campaigns going back to the days when he held "Mr. Jefferson's seat" in the Virginia General Assembly in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Those who have known Senator Allen going back several years have long recognized his Presidential qualities. [ED. UPDATE: They sure didn't shine through in that Senate re-election bid. Sheez!]

2 Comments:

At 5/23/2005 4:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has our other esteemed Senator weighed in on this yet?

Apparently, the Dems are counting on Sen. Warner to vote "non-nuclear." And given his past record in such situations, I'm afraid they're probably right.

 
At 5/23/2005 7:07 PM, Blogger Pro Ecclesia said...

I called Warner's office last Friday and left a message on his legislative aide's voice mail. I asked him to call me back to answer the following questions:

(1) What definition of "extraordinary circumstances" was he working with, which would allow the Democrats to filibuster future nominees? Would such a definition be used to filibuster elevating Justice Scalia to Chief Justice?

and

(2) Which specific nominees was he willing to sacrifice in order to get his deal?

The aide called me back and left a message late Friday asking me to call him back. So far, I haven't done so because I know whatever he says will be full of BS.

Warner's not going to do anything that will jeopardize his status on the D.C. cocktail circuit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

hit counter for blogger